We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Any SDR# (SDRSharp) Users Out There?  (Read 6100 times)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Any SDR# (SDRSharp) Users Out There?
« on: November 18, 2022, 0448 UTC »
I got a HF+ Discovery over a year ago and I have been using SDRSharp with it. SDR Sharp is not exactly my favorite. I still haven't got used to the tuning controls and I never seem to be able to predict ahead of time if I have the tuning controls set the way I need to execute the tuning action that I want.

However my biggest pet peeve is that it defaults to a mode where it makes receiving mode choices (AM/USB/LSB/NBFM) for you based upon frequency. Perhaps this is acceptable for VHF/UHF or exclusively HF ham frequencies but it is super annoying for HF if you jump around listening to a variety of different things as I do. You can disable this feature but it seems like that disable setting is not saved in NVM and when you power it on again, you have to disable it again. You can save the GUI layout for future recall but that setting is not saved or recalled as part of that save.

I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Any SDR# (SDRSharp) Users Out There?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 0147 UTC »
Have you tried SDRangel? I reguarly use it with my Airspy HF+D on Linux. The various modes are represented as separate "channel" decoders, and you can use multiple channels simultaneously with whatever bandwidth is provided by the selected receiver.

I build my own architecture-specific optimized builds, but there are general release builds provided for Linux, Mac, and Windows.

https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel

Quick start guide here:

https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/wiki/Quick-start

I sometimes use SDRSharp (under Wine) for its noise filtering options, but otherwise I often just pass the audio through a software DSP chain like EasyEffects.

If you are on Windows, I also suggest taking a look at SDR Console. Just be careful about the download links. Scroll down to the "Microsoft Dropbox Webhost" links versus the various ads.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/download
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 0152 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 0631 UTC »
Whoa. I forgot that I even posted about this.

While I am grateful for the filtering in SDRSharp, the guy spends/spent a lot of time on the filtering and not enough on the GUI, IMO. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them when I get some time.

Also, I think it is fairly telling that nobody on here is replying with a resounding defense of SDRSharp, i.e., not many people using it for HF.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 0635 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 1145 UTC »
FWIW, I use SDR Sharp with my Discovery.  I use a variety of SDR programs, as I often have several SDRs running at the same time. SdrDx, SDR Sharp, Elad FDM-SW2, SDRuno, even SDR Console now and then.

I played around with SDRangel several years ago when I got a HackRF, but have not used it since then.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline vlf2hf

• North Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 0321 UTC »
I use HDSDR almost exclusively with my HF+. Imho, it has better noise blanking, uses far less cpu... in comparison to SDR#, and has a very "intuitive" interface... well designed. 
Airspy HF+ Discovery | Elad FDM-S2 sdr | dc-30mhz e-probe | L400B e-probe | DIY LF Ferrite Loopstick

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 1641 UTC »
I got sick of the lockups and general glitchiness sdr# had in my instance. Others seem to have flawless performance from the app.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline vlf2hf

• North Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 0009 UTC »
Josh wrote:

"I got sick of the lockups and general glitchiness sdr# had in my instance."

You're right Josh. That's another negative about SDR# I forgot to mention in my post.
Airspy HF+ Discovery | Elad FDM-S2 sdr | dc-30mhz e-probe | L400B e-probe | DIY LF Ferrite Loopstick

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 0127 UTC »
I agree with Josh. SDR# just too glitchie and mine locks up too much too.
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: aurora6925 (at) mail.com
Icom 756Pro3 rig & 133 ft Carolina-Windom ant
Pittsburgh PA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 1946 UTC »
Don't get me wrong I think it's a great app, just wish it was more stable, but for now I use hdsdr or sdr console rather than sdr#. I only ever used it with an rtl and rsp2 so it may be more stable with its own brand of sdr and I'd never know.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Online Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 1955 UTC »
I have SDR#, but it is glitchy as others mentioned and generally not great. It often freezes if I stop playback and start it a few times (not rapidly, I mean a few minutes apart) then I have to restart the computer to close the program. You also can't fast forward through spectrum recordings, which is inconvenient.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 1454 UTC »
I get an occasional SDR# glitch, but I run it under Wine with Mono on Linux, so I tend to expect a few issues. It is usually connected to my Airspy HF+D via a Spy Server instance running locally on the same system.

I like SDRangel, though admittedly it would be nice to have some noise DSP filtering options integrated into the software like SDR#. I can filter the audio through an external software DSP chain if truly needed, but that is not always ideal for certain types of interference and noise.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 1457 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 1700 UTC »
In addition to what you wrote, I never liked that the settings always seemed to reset when you upgraded, and they do very frequent upgrades to SDR#. There are some very lovely things with it, but in general I use good ol' reliable HDSDR with my Discovery HF+. I set up a lot of scheduled recordings and HDSDR is far and away the greatest piece of SDR software for that. Just my 2¢.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2023, 0233 UTC »
In addition to what you wrote, I never liked that the settings always seemed to reset when you upgraded, and they do very frequent upgrades to SDR#.

Yes. I agree on your observation. They do frequent updates (often several times per week) but most of the updates have little relevance to me.  I have not observed that much freezing up - perhaps twice in 12-18 hours of use. Though I think that both times it froze was on one of my laptops which is definitely slower and "underequiped" than my desktop computer.

Speaking of updates, in case anybody cares, SDR Chile always has the latest SDR# update along with a whole mess of the plugins, all in one download package. https://sdrchile.cl/en/

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 0247 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »

Offline mbott

• EN80nd
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2023, 0324 UTC »

<snip>

However my biggest pet peeve is that it defaults to a mode where it makes receiving mode choices (AM/USB/LSB/NBFM) for you based upon frequency. Perhaps this is acceptable for VHF/UHF or exclusively HF ham frequencies but it is super annoying for HF if you jump around listening to a variety of different things as I do. You can disable this feature but it seems like that disable setting is not saved in NVM and when you power it on again, you have to disable it again. You can save the GUI layout for future recall but that setting is not saved or recalled as part of that save.

Easy fix.  Go to Band Plan and uncheck Auto update radio settings. 

--
Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 0103 UTC »

<snip>

Easy fix.  Go to Band Plan and uncheck Auto update radio settings. 

--
Mike

as I wrote above, (and highlighted in bold) that setting is not saved in NVM and you have to do that every time you run the the software. I don't have SDR# running constantly and since it does crash from time to time, it's not really my favorite feature.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns