We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener Damaged by HF RF?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: Garage Door Opener Damaged by HF RF?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2022, 0321 UTC »
My only experiences with HF transmitters and garage door openers had to do with the transmitter making the garage door open when we did NOT want it to do so..... lol

also, there was a lighted china display cabinet, whose lights would flash in time to whatever music was being broadcast on the HF-AM transmitter-- I solved that problem by unplugging it. lol

As far as damage caused by an HF transmitter to garage door opener frequencies, it is not likely-- but proximity to transmitter antennas, and the power being used, can play into it....  it is not impossible, either....

However, Ultra-- in this case I don't believe that there would be "partial damage" which would only affect the "range" of the remotes--
I believe they would either work, or not work, entirely--- like one band of a radio shack SW receiver that I accidentally burned up when opening the transmitter up on an antenna in close proximity to the receiving antenna-- in that case, I could actually SMELL the burning in the shack--

Anyway, I think the suggestions of 'interference' that others have made here are more likely correct...

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 0330 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Garage Door Opener Damaged by HF RF?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2022, 0420 UTC »
It could be cracked or otherwise damaged solder joints. Here is a video of such an issue:

https://youtu.be/I_yzesvN8AI

It could be a build defect, like cold solder joints from the factory that have failed due to vibration or whatever, especially if both openers are similar and around the same age.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip