We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sadly it's time for yet another IMPORTANT PLEASE READ REGARDING THE HFU RULES...  (Read 923 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
post, so recently after the last one.

99+ percent of the HFU users are wonderful radio hobbyists who deeply enjoy the hobby, as well as sharing information and helping others. Sadly as happens most of the time there's a handful who want to ruin nice things for everyone else.

I've received quite a few (well deserved) emails/PMs about certain individuals' posts here on the HFU.  I won't name names, but I'm pretty sure the guilty know who they are, or worse don't and don't care.  I've sent polite PMs to them, gently reminding them of how the HFU operates, what should and should not be posted, and how posts are titled/organized. They've either completely ignored me or replied that the rules basically don't apply to them.

It's pretty simple:

Don't post inflammatory/rude/abusive/obscene posts. Ever. Don't attack other users in your posts. You'd think this goes without saying, but apparently not. This isn't middle school.

Keep things on topic. If your post is not an actual log, don't post it in a loggings board. If it's just a random comment it belongs elsewhere. Or no where at all. We've got the General Radio Discussion and Huh? boards for random stuff. Use them.

Post coherent loggings with the thread title following the HFU format, here's the link to this format yet again. It's not that complicated, really. And it helps others find your logs and figure out what you actually heard. If you can't take 30 seconds to post correctly, your post is probably not that important anyway: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,8448.0.html

Modify your post if you have new information to add. Don't just reply and reply and reply. That's confusing.

I've restricted what these accounts can do. If the users continue to abuse the forum, those restrictions will increase, and eventually the users will get banned.  On the other hand, if they decide to follow the simple rules and act politely, their accounts will be returned to normal status. Likewise, if they take just a few minutes to actually reply to my PMs and let me know they'll play nicely, that can happen a lot more quickly. The ball's in their court.

73 and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to everyone here at the HFU, and thanks again for helping to make this one of the best resources for the radio hobby on the net.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 1522 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings