We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: VC01 3105usb 20:25 utc 4-3-2013  (Read 1559 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
VC01 3105usb 20:25 utc 4-3-2013
« on: April 03, 2013, 2109 UTC »
I heard this on a remote receiver located in Aichi Prefecture, Japan. I normally wouldn't post something that I heard in such a manner but this seemed like such a cool catch...what the hell. I do want to be clear , I did not hear this from my QTH in Missouri. It sounded exactly like this:

http://www.priyom.org/number-stations/other-languages/vc01.aspx

I've heard this & other recordings of "the Chinese robot" before but I never actually found it myself. It is really weird sounding stuff. I first tuned it in at 20:25 utc & it was still going when the remote perseus timed out for the second time at 20:56. I was able to get back on the same receiver after a few minutes & could hear it weakly a few minutes later. The sun had come up in Aichi Prefecture since I first tuned it & it was fading fast but still there at 21:01 utc. I'm on the last day of my third 60 day trial demo deal ,each one on a different computer. I really can't afford to buy a perseus of my own but I might have to because it is such a cool radio. I'm not aware of any other way to access the  worldwide perseus network.

btw, Token your perseus rocks...thanks for making it available. I use it often in around 13:00-14:00 utc to hear the Asian stations that are not audible from here.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: VC01 3105usb 20:25 utc 4-3-2013
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 2145 UTC »
Very cool..would love to catch this one.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VC01 3105usb 20:25 utc 4-3-2013
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 2328 UTC »
This station shifts through 2 to 4 frequencies over a 24 hour period of time.  It generally hits a low freq one, in the 2 to 4 MHz range, later it shifts to a medium freq, in the 4 to 6 MHz range, and later yet it shifts to a higher freq, in the 6 to 8 MHz range.  I have heard it also has a time period when it goes above 8 MHz, but I have not caught it then.

In general, around 1200 to 1600, it is often in the 4 to 6 MHz range, for the last few weeks it has been on 5442 kHz, LSB.  Later it shifts up, and for the last few weeks has been on 7904.3 kHz, USB.

I have not detected any specific cycle to the exact frequencies it selects, or when it changes frequency.  Most often it uses a given frequency for a few weeks and then shifts.  It does seem to transmit 24/7, although it is often hard to find.

If you pay very close attention to the signal you might catch it in an interesting approximate 6 minute cycle.  This is not always detectable, and it may not always do it, but I have seen it for long enough and often enough that it appears to be intentional.  For 2 minutes and 8 seconds it will be at one power level (level A), then it will change levels and be at another for 3 minutes and 52 seconds (level B).  It will alternate A and B levels for hours on end at times.  The transition can (most often does) occur in mid word, it does not wait for a pause in the audio.

What is causing this A/B level change?  I am not sure, but I suspect it might be changing antennas to change coverage.  I say this because using remotes I have detected that sometimes when this A/B change happens receivers in Europe see an increase in signal strength while I see, locally, a decrease.  But, this "antenna change" theory is only a guess and only one possible reason for what I am seeing.

T!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 2343 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA