We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A reminder about stuff not allowed on the HFU  (Read 1078 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
A reminder about stuff not allowed on the HFU
« on: January 26, 2023, 2359 UTC »
I feel like I just posted something along these lines recently, yet here we are again...

The pirate loggings boards are for loggings. If your post is not specifically about a transmission you heard, with details, it should not be posted there. 

The HFU message board has a wonderful feature that lets you... get ready for this... modify a post! You can go back and edit your post, adding additional details. You don't need to reply again to the logging thread. And again... and again.  There may be a very small number of cases where multiple posts in a logging thread are warranted. And of course in non loggings threads where there is a conversation, ideal. But for loggings threads? In general you should make one and only one post.

There's a sticky topic at the very top of the loggings board that shows the Official HFU Approved Logging Message Topic Format. Here it is if you can't find it: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,8448.0.html

It should be followed. EXACTLY. This even means using the correct case for month abbreviations, modes (AM/USB/etc.) and so on.  The correct spacing between words. Why so apparently pedantic? A few reasons:

It makes it easier for people to find the correct logging thread, so they can add to it, rather than starting a new one, which then needs to be merged.

It makes it easier for people to search for logging threads, to find info about past transmissions.

Logging info is often used to generate reports on pirate activity, and a consistent and coherent format makes this much easier to accomplish.

A gentle reminder that public speculation about the location of pirate stations is frowned upon. Now, of course, this doesn't mean very vague things like "I think this station is in Europe, or I think that station is somewhere on the west coast". It means mentioning the state, etc. Common sense stuff. 

This (and some other things) also pertain to what should not be included in loggings on the HFU.  Obviously if one operator is outing the QTH of another, don't post that location in your logging. Likewise, we're trying to keep the HFU (ideally) PG rated. If an operator goes on a psychotic obscenity laced rant, you don't need to quote his exact words. And should not do so.  Likewise, use some common sense when it comes to SSTV images. If it's pr0n, don't post it.

Postings that violate these reasonable standards (and others not listed here, there's so many forms of bad behavior that we cannot enumerate them all) will get deleted. As might your user account.  Note that this may even pertain to those who for example post, announce or otherwise promulgate the locations of stations outside of the HFU. If you're that much of a menace to the hobby, you may not be welcome here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 0005 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A reminder about stuff not allowed on the HFU
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 0306 UTC »
...There's a sticky topic at the very top of the loggings board that shows the Official HFU Approved Logging Message Topic Format. Here it is if you can't find it: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,8448.0.html

It should be followed. EXACTLY. This even means using the correct case for month abbreviations, modes (AM/USB/etc.) and so on.  The correct spacing between words. Why so apparently pedantic? A few reasons:

It makes it easier for people to find the correct logging thread, so they can add to it, rather than starting a new one, which then needs to be merged.

It makes it easier for people to search for logging threads, to find info about past transmissions.

Logging info is often used to generate reports on pirate activity, and a consistent and coherent format makes this much easier to accomplish.

Is it feasible (or even possible) to incorporate a data entry interface with pre-formatted selections for logs, especially the thread titles filed out by the original poster? That would help with consistency.

Many years ago when I was still using Clarion to create data entry utilities, I concocted a couple of free/share ware utilities just for logging radio stations. Worked great, especially on low end computers, no need to remember specific upper/lower case for every type of station (some military and government acronyms use mixed case). The only downside was that once the freeware/shareware utility was released into the wild, it couldn't be modified. I abandoned that project after Clarion was discontinued.

An app version of the HFU might be suitable for that kind of thing. For now I access the HFU via Chrome on my phone when I'm away from home with a portable. It works, kinda, but the browser version is hard to read on a phone, and tricky to poke the correct keystrokes if I've forgotten my 2.5x reading glasses.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 1030 UTC »
Quote from: Zoidberg
For now I access the HFU via Chrome on my phone when I'm away from home with a portable. It works, kinda, but the browser version is hard to read on a phone, and tricky to poke the correct keystrokes if I've forgotten my 2.5x reading glasses.

Have you tried the WAP2 interface to the forum on your phone? Being text based, most modern browsers should scale it nicely, too.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php?wap2
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 0425 UTC »
I feel like I just posted something along these lines recently, yet here we are again...

The pirate loggings boards are for loggings. If your post is not specifically about a transmission you heard, with details, it should not be posted there. 

The HFU message board has a wonderful feature that lets you... get ready for this... modify a post! You can go back and edit your post, adding additional details. You don't need to reply again to the logging thread. And again... and again.  There may be a very small number of cases where multiple posts in a logging thread are warranted. And of course in non loggings threads where there is a conversation, ideal. But for loggings threads? In general you should make one and only one post.

There's a sticky topic at the very top of the loggings board that shows the Official HFU Approved Logging Message Topic Format. Here it is if you can't find it: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,8448.0.html

A gentle reminder that public speculation about the location of pirate stations is frowned upon. Now, of course, this doesn't mean very vague things like "I think this station is in Europe, or I think that station is somewhere on the west coast". It means mentioning the state, etc. Common sense stuff. 

This (and some other things) also pertain to what should not be included in loggings on the HFU.  Obviously if one operator is outing the QTH of another, don't post that location in your logging. Likewise, we're trying to keep the HFU (ideally) PG rated. If an operator goes on a psychotic obscenity laced rant, you don't need to quote his exact words. And should not do so.  Likewise, use some common sense when it comes to SSTV images. If it's pr0n, don't post it.

Postings that violate these reasonable standards (and others not listed here, there's so many forms of bad behavior that we cannot enumerate them all) will get deleted. As might your user account.  Note that this may even pertain to those who for example post, announce or otherwise promulgate the locations of stations outside of the HFU. If you're that much of a menace to the hobby, you may not be welcome here.

I applaud your efforts to herd cats here, Chris...

Carry on, amigo!

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums