We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 9595kHz Jan 9 1900UTC Hour  (Read 350 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNID 9595kHz Jan 9 1900UTC Hour
« on: January 09, 2023, 2023 UTC »
Just before 1930UTC here in Alaska, I caught a signal replaying a loop of island-y type music over and over and over again... was quite strong and clear...no liners, station id's and nothing listed on or Short-wave.info and nothing  in HFCC Raw data last updated Jan 5th for B22.

What is this?

Paul

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 2025 UTC by PaulBWalkerJr »
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 9595kHz Jan 9 1900UTC Hour
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 2139 UTC »
Some additional thoughts

It could've easily been music from the African continent.  I don't think it was a program feed error as I've never heard this before on any station, but it doesn't mean they cant do something new.

Its not turkey, it sounded too crisp and clear to be them. I doubt it's the Vatican.  It sounded like a test of some sort. The signal behaved kind of skywave-y.. like, it was pretty decently strong, but it wasnt "paul is in the target area strong" but it was a solid listen.

In my 7-8 years of scanning the SW bands, I've caught several test transmissions to find a problem in the transmission, tests for future broadcasts and clandestine stuff

And  unless they've changed things, this isn't the same music they use during "fault finding"  with the Wooferton HF transmitters

What did I hear?
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 9595kHz Jan 9 1900UTC Hour
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 0104 UTC »
*Bump*

Almost a week later, and im nowhere closer to an answer than when I started.

any ideas?
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns