We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Heard of the movie "If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium"?  (Read 2196 times)

UncleJohn

Heard of the movie "If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium"?
« on: February 26, 2022, 2050 UTC »
Well... IF It's Windy This MUST Be Whidbey Island!! "High Wind Warning"... normally, usually (not kidding) hear That oh, roughly beginning around the end of Sept. thru late November BUT (yes I am SHOUTING (to myself) here in the library) NOT @ the End of Friggin' February! "Expect Damaging Winds & Wide Spread Power Outages"!!! No!! Nada!! NYET!! Though it's Suppose to warm up to the 50's for the next few days (we still got snow on the ground)! I got extra batteries @ the ready to power my Pro-43 to listen in on Puget Sound Energy which has...should I say fortunately, lots & lots of experience replacing power poles & removing falling trees onto power lines etc. etc. blah blah blah...!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Heard of the movie "If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium"?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 0430 UTC »
Sure, it starred Jackie Gleason as business man dragging his family around on a on a budget tour of Europe while they tried to figure out what city/country they were in by a bad trip guidebook issued by the tour company. One of his better comedies.

I went on one of those tours in HS and didn't give a damn where we were. You could drink anywhere you were tall enough for the bartender to see you and you had the money.

A friend of mine owns a microbrewery out your way, windstorms shut down production yearly. They all go on vacation, but not on confusing bus and train trips to places they don't speak the language like Jackie and I. 

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 1342 UTC »
Funny story about this movie...it opened toward the end of my sixth grade year in 1969.  Our teacher convinced the principal it would be a highly educational, European geography lesson class trip for us to travel from PS 102 Elmhurst, Queens to its premier running at Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan to view, so we went.  A Bond movie of the same era probably had a higher educational value for its exquisite travelogue, futuristic technology, automotive engineering, and gourmand mixology than what we saw but we would have missed the statuesque Rockettes elsewhere.  Good Ol' Mrs. Van Etten  ;D.

https://www.nytimes.com/1969/04/25/archives/if-its-tuesday-this-must-be-belgium-opens.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 1449 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

UncleJohn

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 2255 UTC »
Huh, during my mid & latter grade school days my sister & me would see Sunday aftn. movies, usually scarry/horror like Vincent Price stuff: House on Haunted Hill, Pit/Pendulum etc.  Gotta share this: I remember Mr. Sardonicus...supposedly scary movie about a man with very deformed face, which was covered with a mask Until the very end when the mask was removed. The theatre was packed with mostly fellow gradeschoolers & Everyone & I Mean Everyone burst into the loudest uproarious laugh!!! The most piss poor looking Sh*t-Eating Grin...but hey it was the "60's. (Mine's much better  ;D)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 2302 UTC by UncleJohn »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 0000 UTC »
Here it was a one dollar, 2 movie Saturday matinee for the boys, while the girls and Mom's shopped. Shoot 'em up westerns, gladiator movies, and horror movies you'd already seen on late night TV. As the crowd averaged about eleven years old, there was more violence in the audience than on the screen. The theater was half empty before the first movie ended. You prepared for getting thrown out by bringing a sock stuffed with change to hit the slot car track/arcade across the street, or stuff yourself full of greasy food at the local teen hang out, while pestering the doofuses trying to impress the older girls.

Unless you got spotted doing something you really weren't supposed to be doing, Mom ignored you wandering the streets until it was time to go home. Better you pestering other people than her.   

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns