We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID digital 6951-6955 and 6961-6965, 0041Z 16 January 2023  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Dr. Amp

• FN11od
    • View Profile
This is S9+ at my location, and I've never seen it before.  The closest thing to it on the sigidwiki visually is CLOVER2000, but it's listed as being 2kHz wide and these signals are both 4kHz wide (unless of course they're each two transmissions immediately adjacent, but it doesn't sound like the samples on the wiki.)
MFJ-1024 active antenna, RX-888 MkII, SDR Console

Online ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: UNID digital 6951-6955 and 6961-6965, 0041Z 16 January 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 0113 UTC »
This is one of the experimental stations under an experimental licence of the High Frequency Trading (HFT). These geniuses pop-up all over the place with their wide-band experimental transmissions for the purpose of high frequency stock market trading transactions.

It shows up on this part of the band pretty much every evenings (EST) and stays around for several hours.

If you do a search for energy swath, HFT or High Frequency Trading on this board you will find some of my and other's threads with regards to this subject.

The image below is most likely what you were receiving. The signal is typically composed of 3 parts. The large "energy swath" on the left and 2 data bearers on the far right side of the screen shot. The image below is a bit of an anomaly. It had 3 data bearers.

Offline Dr. Amp

• FN11od
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 0121 UTC »
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing.  If I knew how to upload a picture, I would've.

I've seen the big hump many times and read somewhere that that's what it was.  But I've never seen the narrow signals. 

Are there any theories about why they're using such an odd, multi-part signal?
MFJ-1024 active antenna, RX-888 MkII, SDR Console

Online ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 0251 UTC »
For posting images, have a look at the thread: Posting images on the HFU.

We have also had some recent discussions with regards to imgur in this thread: Using imgur for posting images.

I have to admit, this has to be one of the most often asked questions on this board and the most frustrating one to find an answer to.

As for the HFTs, they are all claiming "confidentiality" therefore information is scarce. This has legislators frustrated as these services are requesting enormous amounts of spectrum, all of which is predominantly allocated to public broadcasting. The issue, HFT is not for public consumption and is "for profit". I have recently heard that the FCC is starting to not renew or are denying HFT applications. If you Google search High Frequency Trading you will find some interesting articles. You can also search on the HFU for High Frequency Trading, HFT or the term that I have coined for it, Energy Swath.

Why the multiple parts? This is 2-way communication (network over HF). You are seeing data from one location, for example Chicago, and the command and control from the far end, for example London England, returning.

You don't always see all 3 parts. Sometimes just the Energy Swath and sometimes just the C2 element. It all depends on the propagation. I pretty much see the Energy Swath every evening (EST) for several hours.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 1541 UTC »
I've been wondering what that blob and the two carrier looking things were? Thanks for the info!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns