We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WTB/WTT For Halicrafters SP-600 Reciever  (Read 1381 times)

Offline TheHappyWanker

• W PA & OTR
  • After 25 yrs I find myself back to Pirate Radio???
    • View Profile
    • Email
WTB/WTT For Halicrafters SP-600 Reciever
« on: January 18, 2023, 1619 UTC »
I need a nice solid and not hacked up SP600 HF unit for my Military Receiver Rack. Whats out there?
Email or message me on this site...
Thx

TheHappyWanker
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 0428 UTC by TheHappyWanker »
IC-7300,2 R-390A, SP600, SX 62A, SX71, NC173, Antennas: Butternut HF9V, 2 EFHW 80-10 120' 1 N/S 1 E/W, EFWH 40-10, 62' E/W, RX LOOP (.5-30) with Rotor.  RSPdx & Duo Rice Box used when traveling with Chinese loop. If so desired a EQSL can go to TheHappyWanker@Gmail. Thx "Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you..." MX ID is my Old Ears and Memory. If I cant copy here it isn't DX! The Web Stuff isn't DX... OK its remote DX via the Electronic Ether...LOL All The gig DARPA brought us...

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: WTB/WTT For Halicrafters SP-600 Reciever
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 1337 UTC »
I think you are looking for a Hammarlund SP-600, not a Hallicrafters.

Hallicrafters made their own version of the SP600, called the R-274 or SX-73.  While it was supposed to be functionally the same, it looked much different.  They are somewhat rare and I have only seen a handful over 50 years in the hobby.

https://www.radioblvd.com/hallicrafters_r274_receiver.htm

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 1648 UTC »
The shipping costs on 65 lbs for those o!d radios is a factor for some collectors and may even keep them from being offered, for Instance  I have heavy radio equipment here I'd like to part with but nobody wants to pay shipping which can actually double asking price some items
Bottom line its gonna be a pain for the seller with little return and working to just save it from the yard if settling for less than good money
Good luck ,, hope you find one!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 1703 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 0252 UTC »
I think you are looking for a Hammarlund SP-600, not a Hallicrafters.

Hallicrafters made their own version of the SP600, called the R-274 or SX-73.  While it was supposed to be functionally the same, it looked much different.  They are somewhat rare and I have only seen a handful over 50 years in the hobby.

https://www.radioblvd.com/hallicrafters_r274_receiver.htm

I saw one of those R-274's at a hamfest at least 20-25 years ago. The guy selling it wasn't at the table, but his partner ID'ed it for me. It was selling for 150 bucks and looked pristine. I thought about buying it, but didn't want to hump it to the outer solar system where my car was parked.