We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 660 AM 1734 UTC 21 Jan 2023  (Read 906 times)

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
UNID 660 AM 1734 UTC 21 Jan 2023
« on: January 21, 2023, 1805 UTC »
Interesting catch here. 

I think the following is WBHR (as it's the only ESPN Radio affiliate that I can find on 660). 

The only thing is, I have no idea how a ten thousand watt signal would be making in from Minnesota to Orlando.  That would be about 1,631 miles on the hop from St. Cloud (according to my estimate); New York to Miami is only 1,278 miles. 

I refer to this because there have been reports of WFAN coming in well near the Miami area...but these reports were made in the early 90s. 

There's no way a 10,000 station could get this far out...right?

Was this WBHR?
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 660 AM 1734 UTC 21 Jan 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 2325 UTC »
Not sure how you determined it is an ESPN affiliate, you didn't mention ID.  If you heard the ESPN ID, then it was not WFAN as they are not an affiliate.  I have picked up WFAN in Florida and Bermuda.  I'm thinking you probably received the flamethrower out of NY.  WBHR is only 500 watts night time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 2331 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 0400 UTC »
Interesting catch here. 

I think the following is WBHR (as it's the only ESPN Radio affiliate that I can find on 660). 

The only thing is, I have no idea how a ten thousand watt signal would be making in from Minnesota to Orlando.  That would be about 1,631 miles on the hop from St. Cloud (according to my estimate); New York to Miami is only 1,278 miles. 

I refer to this because there have been reports of WFAN coming in well near the Miami area...but these reports were made in the early 90s. 

Was this WBHR?

Before or after dark? About 15 years ago I heard a station from Culiacan in Sinaloa state in Mexico, that's over 2000 miles over dirt, rocks, and mountains from where I lived, in the early hours of the morning using Rat Shack loop. My copy of the WRTH gave the night time power as 5000 KW. So yeah, it can happen, but everything has to be just right and it's usually a one off.

I thought I had that loop pointed at Brownsville, TX. where a station that called itself "The Voice of The Lower Rio Grande Valley" played AOR. I guess I had it aimed a little WNW?

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 0807 UTC »
Interesting catch here. 

Was this WBHR?

If you heard the ESPN ID, then it was not WFAN as they are not an affiliate.

To clarify, what I meant was that based on the distance, I would not expect WBHR to be making it to Orlando. 

I didn't hear WFAN.  The only reason that I mentioned them was to note that in order for the WBHR signal to get to Orlando, that station would have had to cover more distance than "The Fan" did in the 90s.

Before or after dark?

Before dark.  By my calculations, 1734 UTC = 12:34 PM Eastern Time.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 0815 UTC by Matt_B »
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 1943 UTC »
I'd be very surprised if WBHR made the trip down to FL around noon CST/EST, unless Chuck Norris was in the area.

Their pattern sends the signal away from FL:
https://fccdata.org/?call=wbhr

Minneapolis, MN