We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pescadores - What do they talk about?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pescadores - What do they talk about?
« on: April 13, 2013, 0254 UTC »
OK... I hear them all the time in LSB, from 6903 - 6995 and everywhere else in-between. As I don't speak Spanish, and possibly someone here on the board does, what exactly do they talk about. I'm guessing they "all can't be fishing" off the Gulf Coast. I had one tonight on 6983 that gave a very clear S9 signal. Just curious...   ...Steve
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: Pescadores - What do they talk about?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 1448 UTC »
I'm guessing they talk about the usual stuff guys on a boat might be discussing: fishing, drinking, women, etc. A lot of the conversations, at least up my way, are in Portuguese, too.

Occasionally some English speaking guys will pop up. There was a Gloucester crew that sometimes shows up but I haven't heard them in a while. They are notable for their faaaaahkin accents.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 1807 UTC »
LOL!  The last time I heard that bunch they were complaining about the hockey strike and discussing the butt of a young lady that worked at a convenience store.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 0211 UTC »
What little I can make out of Spanish and Portuguese, they jibber jabber about the same stuff we all do: sex, drugs/beer, rock and roll, crappy jobs, worse weather, and how amazing Shakira looks.

The English speaking peskies I've heard from the Gulf are pretty much the same.  Insider gossip about jobs, chatter about family, griping about the weather.  Like the Spanish and Portuguese peskies occasionally I'll hear them chatter with wives and girlfriends.  It's never anything racy enough for TMZ or the National Enquirer.  They know they're being heard worldwide so, unlike cell phone calls, they tend to avoid anything X-rated or illegal.

The Portuguese speaking peskies from Brazil are an odd bunch.  They seem to include long distance truckers who alternative between jibber jabber and odd sing-song chanting to amuse and keep each other awake on the road.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)