We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate Station Op Interviews, finally! Phil Muzik and Fearless Fred.  (Read 2471 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
After some long time requests for these, finally got around to upload to Archive.org the following interviews:

https://archive.org/details/knbss-phil-muzik-interview-8-2-1997

and

https://archive.org/details/fearless-fred-interview-2-2-1997

More to come? As time allows, I hope so. Enjoy!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Fearless was the best that ever was and a mentor to just about all of us. Do you still hear from him, Dood?

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Well, actually... The last time that I've heard from Fearless Fred was sometime in 2019. Yeah, before all the COVID-19 BS. Hmmmm... In other news??? May have a surprise on what the next station interview might be to upload to Archive.org. Stay tuned!!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Took a bit to find this one in the MD archives, but ironically it was easier to pull their QSL card. https://archive.org/details/solid-rock-radio-srr-dr-love-interview-2-1997-edited   Download, share, air on your stations. Enjoy!!!!  More to come? Hope so...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Solid Rock Radio was the first pirate I heard on my brand new Drake R-8 one Sunday morning. This was in the days when receivers still weighed enough to give you a heart attack when you lugged them up two flights of stairs to the radio room. The day's of daring he-man dx'ers, who climbed up on steep roofs to erect masts and antennas, weaving the wire and coax through tree branches and over power lines and into place, to be rewarded by climbing down off that roof,  grounding the whole thing to a steel bbq skewer , and ascending the stairs, hooking the coax up and pressing the power button and turning that can of soup sized tuning knob with no fear knowing you'd done everything right. Penguins be damned, as a great man told me.

SDR's are for sissies.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
SDR's are for sissies.

No, they are not. I live so far from where all the pirates are that sometimes there are 2, 3, or 4 pirates heard on the east coast and absolutely nothing here. Part of that is because when stations are active it is still hours before sunset here and the propagation on 43 meters is useless. During the winter I might have better luck, but the lower power stations still probably won’t be heard here. That means that during the summer without SDR’s I would only be able to hear the stations that operate very late and use high power which are a small minority. That’s not even mentioning that most Europirates operate at times when there is no hope of hearing them directly in North America at all. I think that people who refuse to use SDR’s to hear Europirates are really missing out. My opinion is that their programming and transmitters are far superior to most American stations. Remember that not everyone is in a good location for Pirate listening.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Station Op Interviews, finally! Phil Muzik and Fearless Fred.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 0124 UTC »
These are terrific interviews...Thanks for sharing them!

MP
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Pirate Station Op Interviews, the 1st Fearless Fred one, 9/1992!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 1953 UTC »
https://archive.org/details/fearless-fred-interview-sept.-1992-edited.

Well, after requests for this one, I´ve put it up there, the one from September 1992. I just can´t believe that´s over 30 years ago, now. Yeeeeeeeeeeesh....