We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Fiberglass whip – short vertical antennas for MW broadcasting by Valcom?  (Read 984 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
https://labsdl.wordpress.com/2018/09/06/interesting-am-broadcast-antennas-part-1-wiry-and-wzbr/

I think that these were covered before, but they are intriguing. Hmmmmmmmmm... I wonder how were they'd work for the 160M band?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Thanks for sharing the article. Very interesting. I have in the past and continue to deal on occasions with VALCOM and have been at their manufacturing and R&O facilities on many occasions.

The original design of these antennae were for Naval ship to shore operations. There are similar ship board versions of these (minus the top hat). I believe this particular one's original intended design may have been for use with NDB stations.

VALCOM is a prime defence contractor and R&O facility which has over the years expanded / adapted their product line to cover some of the commercial market applications.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
I suspect the loading coil has an extemely high Q tuned for only a few KHz of workable bandwidth at a station's set operarating frequency. Probably just enough bandwidth to keep the SWR curve within the transmitter's tolerance.

The top loading is interesting from a space saving standpoint, but assuming apreciable horizontal space is available, dramtically increasing capactive top loading should substantially improve performance. Once upon a time, there were AM BCB stations using such T antennas. Building a couple of shorter support towers could be more affordable or practical than the skyscraping towers we normally associate with mediumwave broadcasters.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 0710 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Capacitive top loading can even be used on antenna arrays for directional patterns.
I remember the LW antennas of Europe 1 in Saarland. The hats were made with 3 slanting wires for each mast, those wires barely visible in the sectors between the strong halyards. The towers were all in the 300 meters high range, still short for the 183 kHz frequency.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns