We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Balloon  (Read 1459 times)

Offline gaston

• View Profile
Balloon
« on: February 03, 2023, 2238 UTC »
Just curious if anyone has or has plans to listen to the mystery balloon to see if it's broadcasting any rf. Unfortunately, I'm not in the path.

Offline Ticom

• Litchfield Hills, CT
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
    • Email
Re: Balloon
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 2318 UTC »
Waiting to see if it passes nearby. Going to search ITU allocations for meteorological aids >30 MHz.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 0005 UTC »
It's a ploy to block our view of the once in 50,000 years Green Comet. They're still mad Bruce Lee got his breakout role as "Kato" on the "Green Hornet" in the States.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 0317 UTC »
Too far from here to hear anything, but on some forum someone posted a link to a radiosonde site and I was able to find out the freq for the local MPX NWS radiosonde on 403.610 MHz. They launched last evening at 0000Z and I did hear it here for a while.

https://tracker.sondehub.org/
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 1534 UTC »
I used to live in Georgetown, S.C. I saw pics today from the rebuilt pier in Surfside Beach, just up US 17 from Georgetown, where the Great Balloon went down offshore. Lots of shrimpers down there. I figure they've already made off with the material from the balloon to make extra nets?

They didn't have to shoot it down over the Atlantic. They could have shot it down over land there, nothing but swamps, golf courses, and shut down for the winter tourist traps below.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 0037 UTC »
There was plenty of time to shoot it down over land over unpopulated areas.

I'd like to know how the shrimpers & fishermen are doing these days without LORAN-C. When it was decommissioned, they were very upset. If I was in charge of things, LORAN-C would be the first thing to come back.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 2157 UTC »
There was plenty of time to shoot it down over land over unpopulated areas.

I'd like to know how the shrimpers & fishermen are doing these days without LORAN-C. When it was decommissioned, they were very upset. If I was in charge of things, LORAN-C would be the first thing to come back.

It was up at 60,000 feet and had something like the mass of two or three buses, with a potential debris field 7 miles wide. No, there's no place so depopulated that that would have been safe over land. Don't listen to the people trying to make political hay out of this.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 1532 UTC »
There's a nuke buried in the swamps around Seymour Johnson AFB in N.C. It was lost on takeoff around 65 years ago and was fully armed. The Air Force searched for it for years, said, "The Hell with it.", and threw up chain link fences for miles around the suspected impact zone. One of these days that thing might go off and it will be "Goodbye" to a couple of million people, including the the Holy Shrine's of both Nahunta Pork Center's and Wilber's BBQ.

They could have knocked that balloon down anywhere in the Carolina Low Country with the only risk being to yellow pines, alligators, wild hogs, and timber rattlers. Not a Nascar track would've been harmed.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 2133 UTC »
Two "Broken Arrows" stories mixed together and posted above.

Date: March 11, 1958
No capsule of nuclear materials was aboard the 8-47 or installed in the weapon.

Date: January 24, 1961
There is no detectable radiation and no hazard in the area

https://www.atomicarchive.com/almanac/broken-arrows/index.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 2140 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 0339 UTC »
Two "Broken Arrows" stories mixed together and posted above.

Date: March 11, 1958
No capsule of nuclear materials was aboard the 8-47 or installed in the weapon.

Date: January 24, 1961
There is no detectable radiation and no hazard in the area

https://www.atomicarchive.com/almanac/broken-arrows/index.html

That's what the Government say's, who are you going to believe, me or that pack of lying curs? What are you some sort of wise guy? If that nuke blows, no more eastern Carolina BBQ ,the best whole hog BBQ in the known universe! You're worse than Al Fansome, a well known poopy-head in his lifetime. Never interrupt me when I'm on a roll!

Online Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 2243 UTC »
A clear image of the balloon:
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 0533 UTC »
That's what the Government say's, who are you going to believe, me or that pack of lying curs? What are you some sort of wise guy? If that nuke blows, no more eastern Carolina BBQ ,the best whole hog BBQ in the known universe! You're worse than Al Fansome, a well known poopy-head in his lifetime. Never interrupt me when I'm on a roll!

This is the quality interneting that keeps me coming back.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 1204 UTC »
I do my best to keep them on the straight and narrow path, Zoidberg. I was Al's John the Baptist when he was alive, and he managed to resurrect, even though I may have held him under a little long on that third dunking? He lusted after manatee's, it had to be done.

The obsession people have with UFO's, Moon Men, and Area 51 didn't start again in earnest until the early 1980's when that Nena chick from West Germany started howling about her "Luftballoons". (She never took her shirt off, how do we know they were "luft"?) Who was in Dresden, in East Germany at the same time? Vladimir Putin, getting his head polished and being brainwashed at his final KGB posting before the fall of the USSR. As the West was going wacky over a balloon song they couldn't understand a word of, the KGB programmed Putin to launch balloon's if he got into power in the future, as Gorbachev was going to run the entire USSR into the ditch.

That, in a Zeeky-shell, is why the Chinese are so miffed about being blamed for this balloon business. They were in the drivers seat, getting cut-rate oil from Putin, but he double-crossed them by launching spy balloons with "Baofeng" printed on them. We shoot them down, get P-O' d at the Chinese for doing it, while the Midget of Moscow is sitting in his bunker getting a wax and polish on his scalp by Belorussian Babushkas shipped in by Lukashenko.