We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Duke Nuke Em on the 80 meterband  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Asleep01

• View Profile
Duke Nuke Em on the 80 meterband
« on: February 06, 2023, 1406 UTC »
Since February 2019 I have run across various transmissions on 80 meterband by a person who occasionally identifies himself as Duke Nuke Em. 

Most often I pick up the station around 3731 kHz in the 2AM UTC time frame. With a few finds at 3672 kHz.  But the broadcasts can and do moves all around the 80 meterband. And even once found them on the 40 meterband. And typically is where there is heavy use and traffic going on from other stations.

The broadcasts are very unique in nature, with a very pronounced sound and feel to them. Often being mixed with older 1950s music and self made loops of sound effects. Made double odd by the propagating effect of each broadcast over distance and through various types of static typical to the shortwave medium. Things like steam calliope music and looped cuts of odd percussion and drums beats are a standard of the transmissions. Even cartoon sound effects can be heard. With the announcer only occasionally identify himself as Duke Nuke Em. His voice is very mechanical and at times Darth Vader like with odd breathing inbetween his words. And strange bouts of  "evil" laughing. Funeral music is another big standard that comes with these broadcasts.

Bleeding over other transmissions seems a given with this station and could give  the broadcasts a jamming purpose or orientation. Regardless the reasons it is highly entertaining to say the least. I have logged and audio recorded numerous broadcasts over the last 3 years from this station.

I'd say, in the current time frame this is one of the oddest and most interesting broadcasts out there on the shortwave medium. This is a fun find and a most interesting listen. Just who and what it is/ exactly is pure speculation at this point. Pretty sure it's has a European origin, possibly England. Or maybe even Soviet, but always in the English format. Enjoy!

PS: I couldn't find any way to upload audio files from my station logs to the site here, so
folks could actually hear Duke Nuke Em's signature sound and station identifier.  Once you are familiar with such, its very easy to identify the station even in heavy static and  pronounced propagation effect. 

Enjoy finding this weird signal. It's often different and loaded with new stuff/ but has a bit of looped sound bites as well.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 1926 UTC by Asleep01 »

Online Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Re: Duke Nuke Em on the 80 meterband
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 1539 UTC »
As you said, probably a jammer. Where are you listening from?
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Asleep01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 1925 UTC »
Oh forgot/ thanks...yeah. Flagstaff, Arizona. USA. It's quite a fun find and listen...not near as boring as stuff like " the buzzer " and older now famous numbers stations. Pretty darn strange...to say the least.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 1758 UTC »
PS: I couldn't find any way to upload audio files from my station logs to the site here, so
folks could actually hear Duke Nuke Em's signature sound and station identifier.  Once you are familiar with such, its very easy to identify the station even in heavy static and  pronounced propagation effect. 

If you have a google account (and for purposes such as this, it's worth having one), you can upload it to youtube. If it's just an audio file, you can add a still picture (or several, and have it work like a slideshow), then share the link here. You can also get a screen recorder (I use the free version of Bandicam) and record what you find if you're using an SDR (web based as well as your own), that way there's video to go with the audio.

Other folks upload to sites like dropbox and then share the link here. It requires downloading a file though, so understandably some folks would be concerned about doing that based on some random post on the internet.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail