We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Recording to a hard drive--SSD or HDD?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Ron Hunsicker

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Recording to a hard drive--SSD or HDD?
« on: February 14, 2023, 2308 UTC »
Hello,

I've been recording spectrum collected by my Elad S3 to a SSD.  Today, the SSD died--two computers cannot see it and when I tried to initialize the SSD, the window said nope; I/O errors.

I'm not using the S3's ability to record 24MHz of spectrum, just 400KHz.  In playing back there are many forwards and backs to catch details, so many R/W cycles.

What to you use?  SSD or HDD?  And, if you would, why?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron Hunsicker
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania 
ronhunsi at ptd.net
Elad FDM-S3, a dipole cut for 6955, a DX Engineering Amplified Vertical, and a Wellbrook with a rotator

Offline Ron Hunsicker

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recording to a hard drive--SSD or HDD?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 2220 UTC »
Replying to myself and all of you:

I asked the question to another list-serve (groups.io SDR Radio) and the consensus was to use an HDD drive to avoid a large number of write cycles that might wear an SSD.

Ron
Ron Hunsicker
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania 
ronhunsi at ptd.net
Elad FDM-S3, a dipole cut for 6955, a DX Engineering Amplified Vertical, and a Wellbrook with a rotator

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Recording to a hard drive--SSD or HDD?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 2010 UTC »
I would consider either an enterprise class hdd or a laptop drive. Both are hardy, the laptop drives will likely use least amount of power and produce less heat, the enterprise drive will likely last longer and have better performance and also commands a higher price going by capacity, but a laptop disk spinning at 5400rpm should do just about all one wants and that is what I use as sdr save drive. The laptop drives are also tiny, if size factors into the criterion.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.