We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 34.150 MHz [150.0 Hz Tone Squelch] Open FM Carrier 16 Feb 2023  (Read 513 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Yesterday afternoon I did some VHF low scanning, California Highway Patrol was booming in, among many other users.  Also heard a fair amount of above 30 MHz Latin American traffic (mostly taxi cabs).   Fort Hood, Texas Range Control on 30.450 MHz FM [150.0 Hz tone squelch] was also full scale.  SNOTEL data on 40.670 MHz FM [CSQ] and the BNSF rail data link system was going nuts on 44.580 MHz FM [CSQ]

34.1500 MHz FM [150 Hz] Had a strong FM signal on it, with that little 150Hz hum in the background, but no audio that I could make out.  Signal was there for well over an hour (this is around 2:00 in the afternoon US Eastern time, in downtown Richmond VA).   I did manage to get a few video clips of it, along with some of the other activity. 

In the past I've heard somebody left the radio on transmit mode before - usually on the 30.000 MHz frequency, but 34.15 FM is a new one for me.  I will do some digging and see if that's a known range control, etc. frequency at a US military base.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m