We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Possible radiosonde reception 1676 MHz  (Read 4286 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Possible radiosonde reception 1676 MHz
« on: April 30, 2013, 1228 UTC »
I may have received a radiosonde this morning. Even though the winds were not favorable, I decided to give it a try. I had a carrier on 1676 MHz starting at around 1205z. Then at around 1215z or so, I started to see modulation on it. I ran my app, and got 5 packets with a bad CRC (unfortunately I didn't enable the option to display bad CRC packets). Then after fiddling around trying to get an app running to record the audio, I went back to the waterfall, and the signal was completely gone.  So I am not sure what I had.

When the balloon bursts, how quickly does it fall? I'm wondering if I caught the signal when the balloon was at the maximum height? From the CUSF map it looks like it was south of DC.

For those interested, I was using my discone antenna feeding a Radio Shack Satellite pre-amp (950-2050 MHz) and an RTL dongle, running Gqrx under Mac OS X.

I'll need to be better prepared for next time.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline w5cdt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Possible radiosonde reception 1676 MHz
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 2121 UTC »
Good deal Chris. I will see if I can find a contact at the Dulles NWS to confirm their operating frequency.
Ascent rate is about 5m/sec and I'm told descent is about 7m/sec. Next time I capture two descending packets separated by a few seconds I'll try to give you some hard data on that.

-CT