We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 530 AM CIAO with Spanish programming in background  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
530 AM CIAO with Spanish programming in background
« on: May 06, 2013, 0554 UTC »
530 khz AM
5:40 - 5:55 ut
I've noticed CIAO the past few nights and tonight I have it at S7 - good enough copy to enjoy the laid back music.

BUT - Tonight I am also hearing some Spanish programming and music fading up in the background regularly -
I do not hear any time pips? -Still might be the Cuban station on 530 khz?

Interesting to note that the NDB's are rather week tonight as well...

5:55 - 6:05 ut  540 khz AM coming up and splattering the sig some - 530 khz now sounds stronger in Spanish - just recognized the word Cuba several times w male announcer talking...I suppose CIAO could be transmitting Spanish programming?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 0606 UTC by Rockpicker »
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: 530 AM CIAO with Spanish programming in background
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 0047 UTC »
I'm going to hazard a guess that you're getting Rebelde or Progreso, both of them Cuban todapoderosas, beneath CIAO.  The multiple mentions of Cuba sound like their style, and the music could easily mean Rebelde.  If it comes up again tonight, maybe you could try to match it with the shortwave frequency Rebelde uses - 5025kHz.  Progreso is admittedly harder; I've only had them up here once, and that was on 880 rather than 530.  If I'm recalling this correctly, CIAO tends to broadcast mostly in southeast Asian languages - Urdu, Hindi - or French overnight.  I don't think I've ever heard them in Spanish. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.