We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Real time on-the-air spotting/sharing network?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline FTU Alumnus

• Charlotte, NC
  • DX - Better than frozen pizza!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Real time on-the-air spotting/sharing network?
« on: March 06, 2023, 2327 UTC »
As a licensed amateur who enjoys listening to all types of communications I've often wondered if it was possible to use HF amateur bands to share real time spotting information about whatever it is we happen to be hearing. (broadcast, pirate, utility, beacons, etc.) Something to get us out of the name/QTH/signal report hit-and-run QSO rut so many hams seem to be stuck in.
I'm not interested in any form of "net" with roll calls or check ins. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
Marc/K4FTU
Yaesu FT-1000D, Icom R71A & R7000
RTL-SDR Blog V3, Universal M-7000
Alpha Delta DX-SWL "Sloper", G5RV & Mosley TA-53M

"Western man is externalizing himself in the form of gadgets" (William S. Burroughs)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Real time on-the-air spotting/sharing network?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 2113 UTC »
Sure... I've done stuff like this, but with mixed results. Problem is, it is best to know what type of ops you have. Do you have the kind of ops that are open to various topics to kick around, like what we hear on LF, MW, HF, FM broadcast, TV bands, VHF / UHF, microwave, even light wavelengths, bands, legal operations, not-so legal operations? Or, do you have ultra, (Hum-drum.), conservatives that want nothing out of the norm? This is crowd depending, for sure. Me??? I like the idea to have two-way radio being the ultimate in interactive talk radio, where you use radio to respond and add to the subjects and conversations. It's like anything else, study and know your limit, and stay within it. BTW, not just Amateur Radio, but also CB, MURS, and GMRS, as well.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 2057 UTC »
As a licensed amateur who enjoys listening to all types of communications I've often wondered if it was possible to use HF amateur bands to share real time spotting information about whatever it is we happen to be hearing. (broadcast, pirate, utility, beacons, etc.)

Many decades ago there was a net for shortwave listeners on Sunday mornings on the North American east coast. In addition to folks checking in with loggings, there would always be some gateway stations who would accept loggings from SWLs via telephone and then would read them out over the air. Not quite real time but the idea is similar. This was just as the internet was just becoming more ubiquitous and not everyone had it at home. The net was run by KW3F, whom I believe has passed away.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 2100 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 1902 UTC »
This net thingy would be great in say a good weak sig digital mode like robust packet, or even ita2 baudot or ascii would be fun. Heckers even 300Bd packet. Even ale using amd messaging would do.
There are any number of digital suites to use for such, my fav's dm780, but for robust packet you have to download it alone unless you have one of sds high dollar modems;
https://vapn.org/help/robust-packet
DM780 has a lot of modes and I find it to be very stable;
https://www.dxzone.com/dx21563/digital-master-780.html
Use a keyboard to keyboard mode for the net and 110A or similar for file transfers.
I'm going to suggest robust packet for kb2kb and 110A for files but everyone has an opinion.
I have a copy of gtor, a software emulation of GTOR, kantronics answer to pactor that showed a lot more promise than pactor-1 but can't find a online source to direct you to a dl link. GTOR would likely be better for use on older pcs but any pc made in the last 20 years should be serviceable for our porpoises.

We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.