We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KiwiSDR future/replacement?  (Read 4338 times)

Maxwells Daemon

KiwiSDR future/replacement?
« on: March 07, 2023, 2111 UTC »
My understanding is that new KiwiSDR hardware is permanently unavailable.   
Is that so?   Is anyone aware of any efforts to come up with a clone or replacement?   
Given its popularity and usefulness, it seems a shame for this platform to die (or at least be limited to its current stock).

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Re: KiwiSDR future/replacement?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 2338 UTC »
Seen on the KIWI site (or nearby) : no Kiwi build in 2022, because of components shortage. In September, the last few exemplaries were sold (beware of the resellers without real stock!). No new series in any foreseeable future.

Maybe some clones are coming, but with very short series (not many found on Internet, and 'caveat emptor' of course.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline minorukun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 0221 UTC »
raspberrysdr, flydogsdr

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 0425 UTC »
The infamous "Fanbot 3000" was built using a RaspberryPi. "He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned" could've cranked out thousands of SDR's had he been so inclined and taken them seriously, but as we all know, real radio's have knobs and buttons.

If you folks would have asked nicely, he might have done it as a favor, but none of you prostrated yourselves before his lawn chair at Shady Acres and asked humbly. Now there are no more Kiwi's and the Holy One has been assumed into Paradise. "Ask and you shall receive", only applied when he was stomping around on Earth and could build you something to receive with, not now. You're too late.

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 0324 UTC »
Seems like neither the raspberrysdr nor the fly dog sdr units are available:(. I’m really regretting not getting a kiwi when I had the chance
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline nitroengine

• Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 0234 UTC »
I believe many SDR manufacturers are having trouble with obtaining the semiconductors such as ADC chips. That's one of the issues that did in the KiwiSDR. John, the developer of the Kiwi, posted on the Kiwi forum some time back that he was also ready to sunset the project as he was pursuing other projects.

The "knock offs" such as the FlyDogSDR haven't been available for some time now either. Those were claimed to not perform as well as the Kiwi despite having technically better specs.

With the semiconductor shortage still catching up and growing global tensions, I wouldn't hold my breath at this moment.

The software the Kiwi user interface is based on, OpenWebRX https://www.openwebrx.de/ can be configured to work with a host of SDRs. It's not as feature packed and as easy to use as the Kiwi, but it's an option.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 0325 UTC by nitroengine »
Receiver: Unlisted KiwiSDR configured to 3-channel wideband mode.
Ant: Homemade "Wellgood" 1m amplified loop normally kept in a fixed position (NNW/SSE) to keep 1500 KSTP in the null.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 2322 UTC »
John, the developer of the Kiwi, posted on the Kiwi forum some time back that he was also ready to sunset the project as he was pursuing other projects.

Which is curious because he keeps cranking out software revisions. Of course, hardware revisions have a longer timeline than software revisions.

The software the Kiwi user interface is based on, OpenWebRX https://www.openwebrx.de/ can be configured to work with a host of SDRs. It's not as feature packed.

You can say that again. For one thing, frequency resolution is lacking, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 0446 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline cyphermatic

• View Profile
    • Skywave Linux 5 (Now based on rolling Debian Sid / Unstable)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 0945 UTC »
Just two comments:

The KiwiSDR already has a pretty full set of features. Having a 1 Hz tuning and display resolution would be very welcome; things it lacks may be handled client side. Does anyone out there use the "SuperSDR" client? By taking the IQ stream, such a client can do plenty of things independently of the KiwiSDR interface. For simple things like AM / SSB / CW, the client doesn't even need the IQ stream... Since finding SuperSDR, I rarely bother with pulling up the web interface.

As to hardware, there are plenty of other ARM based single board computers which could be substituted for the Raspberry Pis.  FPGAs and ADCs are out there, although not cheap, they can be found. I would not be surprised to see some sort of Kiwi-like radio appear which continues the winning recipe of SBC + ADC + FPGA + webserver. I would not be surprised if someone adapts the GPIO connection, tweaks the operating system, and puts out an ugly but performant radio with an Orange Pi SBC.

Perhaps JKS is bored and wants to move on. Okay, "See ya later and thanks for the radios." There is a funny phrase in the last chapter of KiwiSDR: 21st Century Radio for the People which says something like, "Watch the clones." Of course, I could be completely wrong and the future is based on HPSDR variants.
Phil C / AB9IL
Skywave Linux

Offline nitroengine

• Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 0652 UTC »
Having a 1 Hz tuning and display resolution would be very welcome

A 1Hz resolution is possible on the Kiwi, except that it needs to be set by the owner in the Admin interface under the "Config" tab. Would be nice if it was set by default, I have a feeling most owners don't even know about it.

Receiver: Unlisted KiwiSDR configured to 3-channel wideband mode.
Ant: Homemade "Wellgood" 1m amplified loop normally kept in a fixed position (NNW/SSE) to keep 1500 KSTP in the null.

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 1327 UTC »
I use 1Hz resolution adjustment when the kiwi or receiving station is off frequency. You just enter the 1Hz digit as a user. The digit will not show up in the display but will change.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline ZL/KF6VO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 2054 UTC »
Which is curious because he keeps cranking out software revisions.

Yeah, I should really stop. But it's tough to break the habit after 9+ years of running flat out. The other projects really need more attention than they're getting.

Parts are starting to become available again (except for one which has very unfortunately gone EOL). But now at about 2.5 times the previous cost. Can you imagine what would happen if a renewed Kiwi doubled in price? The backlash would make the effort worthless.

But parts and price are the least of the problems. I won't elaborate. But suffice it to say that restarting manufacturing/distribution is essentially impossible at this point.

Regards,
John, ZL/KF6VO
KiwiSDR

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 1515 UTC »
Yeah, I should really stop.

Please don’t!

Your efforts are greatly appreciated by everyone I know.

I own literally dozens of receivers yet my Kiwi is the one I use the most.  It works well and the integrated decoders are exceptionally convenient.  For all it does and how well it works, I still marvel at the tiny footprint it has and how little it actually cost.

Most hams and SWLs go through their life enjoying the hobby, but contributing little.  Not so for you.  You’ve made a huge impact.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 1220 UTC by NJQA »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 1657 UTC »
Which is curious because he keeps cranking out software revisions.

Yeah, I should really stop. But it's tough to break the habit after 9+ years of running flat out. The other projects really need more attention than they're getting.

Parts are starting to become available again (except for one which has very unfortunately gone EOL). But now at about 2.5 times the previous cost. Can you imagine what would happen if a renewed Kiwi doubled in price? The backlash would make the effort worthless.

But parts and price are the least of the problems. I won't elaborate. But suffice it to say that restarting manufacturing/distribution is essentially impossible at this point.

Regards,
John, ZL/KF6VO
KiwiSDR

That's very unfortunate news, John.  But as with the others, I want to thank you very much for all your hard work developing and maintaining the KiwiSDR. There's five online here, it used to be more until several were damaged in a freak storm (disconnected from antennas, but still powered, and my nextdoor neighbor's house took a direct lightning strike, you can figure out the rest. Lots of electronic stuff died that day). 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2023, 2024 UTC »
Having a 1 Hz tuning and display resolution would be very welcome

A 1Hz resolution is possible on the Kiwi, except that it needs to be set by the owner in the Admin interface under the "Config" tab. Would be nice if it was set by default, I have a feeling most owners don't even know about it.

I noticed that about a year ago (maybe more?) the default was changed from 1 Hz display resolution to 10 Hz. Only a few owners have changed it to 1 Hz, in my experience.

I use 1Hz resolution adjustment when the kiwi or receiving station is off frequency. You just enter the 1Hz digit as a user. The digit will not show up in the display but will change.

Hmmm... I suspected that but I never had the low-end audio fidelity to sense 1 through 9 Hz beat tones and couldn't prove it  :D
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2023, 2322 UTC »
With my transmitter bandwidth down to 10Hz I can hear a non GPS frequency locked kiwi off by a few hertz when monitoring my station and use headphones that have a very good low end responsive. Even without a wide bandwidth transmitter If you listen in IQ mode you can hear the zero beat drift with stereo headphones if not exactly on frequency.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com