We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Mr. X Beacon up!  (Read 1340 times)

Offline KQ2RP

• View Profile
    • Email
Mr. X Beacon up!
« on: March 22, 2023, 1916 UTC »
Hi All,

After a long period of 'radio silence', the Mr. X beacon is back up and running at 13565.69 KHz on solar/battery power. 

Dormancy was caused by loss of antenna supports here (Emerald Ash Borer infestation in the northeast  >:( ). Operation should be continual at this point, barring any mishaps.

Antenna is a 20m 1/4 ground plane. Elevation 880 ft ASL. Reports welcomed.

Cheers,
Chris KQ2RP
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 1249 UTC by KQ2RP »

Offline FTU Alumnus

• Charlotte, NC
  • DX - Better than frozen pizza!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mr. X Beacon up!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 1651 UTC »
1648Z I'm hearing "Mr. X" direct only in NC. Nothing via the KFS SDRs.
Yaesu FT-1000D, Icom R71A & R7000
RTL-SDR Blog V3, Universal M-7000
Alpha Delta DX-SWL "Sloper", G5RV & Mosley TA-53M

"Western man is externalizing himself in the form of gadgets" (William S. Burroughs)

Offline Prairiedog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 0728 UTC »
Thanks for the update, Chris. I'd been wondering, because it had been a year since the last public report.

Over the past week I've been hearing the signal here in eastern Kansas late in the afternoon and sometimes after sunset, but earlier this evening was the first time I've had enough signal to overcome the combination of rapid, deep fades and Codar QRM and obtain a definite ID of "MR.X"

Offline KQ2RP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 1314 UTC »
Over the past week or so, I've heard it on remote receivers in Michigan and Georgia.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 1330 UTC »
13:20 UTC 02 APR 2023 - I hear something up there but it is far too faint for me to determine what the CW is. There are a few beacons in that portion of the band so it might be something else all together.

RSPduo | Barker & Williamson T2FD and Wellbrook loop antennae

Offline W9TOX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 0044 UTC »
041 UTC, 12  October 2023, I'm hearing "MR.X "  zero beat at 13.565.680 Mhz. Nice copy near Chicago.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Mr. X Beacon up! 13565 CW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 0151 UTC »
01:40 UTC 12 OCT 2023 - Weak barely readable but it is there just above the noise level on 13565.080. The signal sometime comes up enough for me to try and read the code. I believe it is MRX. It is hard to tell in the noise. A little slower code transmission and more spacing between the individual ID bursts would help greatly on this weak signal.

RSPduo | Wellbrook loop antennae