We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Season's Greetings - 2023 MLB Broadcasts on Class A 50K watt stations  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unfortunately, the number of 50,000 watt Class A AM-ers that broadcast baseball has shrank from 2022. The Blue Jays are no longer on English service affiliate CKGM in Montreal. Another cloud looming over these broadcasts this year or next is the financial health of Audacy. No fewer than three of these stations are Audacy properties. Audacy has just moved several stations/tower sites to an LLC for sale or rental agreement. But for now, here are your baseball flamethrower broadcasters (Class A's). I appreciate corrections/additions. The listing is derived from online research and email to some stations. Batter up ;D.

All stations are the flagship unless noted.

660am WFAN New York Yankees
670am WSCR Chicago Cubs
680am KNBR San Francisco Giants
700am WLW Cincinnati Reds
710am KIRO Seattle Mariners
830am WCCO Minnesota Twins
850am KOA Colorado Rockies (MDK2 time to make those Philco tubes aglow, too bad you can't do likewise for the Rockies  ;))
880am WCBS New York Mets
1000am WMVP Chicago White Sox
1020am KDKA Pittsburgh Pirates*
1080am WTIC Boston Red Sox    Affiliate in Hartford, CT
1090am WBAL Baltimore Orioles
1100am WTAM Cleveland Guardians
1120am KMOX Saint Louis Cardinals
1140am WRVA Washington Nationals    Affiliate in Richmond, VA
1500am WFED Washington Nationals    Affiliate in DC
*The Pirates' website mentions some games on KDKA 1020 am.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 1506 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
850am KOA Colorado Rockies (MDK2 time to make those Philco tubes aglow, too bad you can't do likewise for the Rockies  ;))

Ugh, don't remind me. Worst ownership and front office in professional American team sports, not just baseball.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
You can hear WLW from the Mississippi River to the Appalachian foothills during the day year round. I used to love to listen to Gary Burbank and his crew year round on that long drive. For a while they had "Mojo Nixon's House Party" after 10 pm. EST. He'd keep you from falling asleep at the wheel. Red's baseball tends make you nod off during the warm months.

KMOX has about the same range to the east. I don't have any idea how far they reach out on the Great Plains? Far enough to steal market share from the Royal's would be my guess.

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Best wishes for DX'ing and for my Mariners to actually make it to the post-season for TWO years in a row!
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best wishes for DX'ing and for my Mariners to actually make it to the post-season for TWO years in a row!

I've got them winning the AL West only to fall to the Jays in the ALCS.  Still don't understand how they didn't make Series in 2001.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 1253 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I was watching the UConn-Gonzaga basketball game last night and listening to the play-by-play on WFAN. Gonzaga got thumped, but the WFAN announcers weren't cutting them a bit of slack on calls that could have gone both ways. I'm guessing WFAN was carrying the UConn crew since NYC and CT. are rock throwing distance apart?

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Not so, WFAN was carrying the Westwood One crew.  WFAN has dropped coverage of individual college teams (too much NFL, NBA, and MLB to broadcast), they had done Rutgers and St. John's in the past.  A few years ago, UConn flagship switched from flamethrower WTIC 1080 am Hartford with a handful of statewide affiliates to WUCS (ESPN) 97.9 FM Hartford with affiliates.

UConn is not really considered local in NYC market, it's a good 2.5-3 hour drive from Storrs to NYC.  Though, playing at MSG is almost like a home game for UConn because it is an easy train trip from New Haven and southwestern Connecticut for students and alumni. For a long stretch of time St. John's would not schedule UConn at MSG because UConn fans would take over the building.  WFAN will give passing acknowledgement to UConn football/basketball when playing well as Fairfield County is in their radio market under an hour from the City.

BTW, UConn has the best "Big" game in college, when they hit their 3's, no one can stay with them.  They did get up to #2, smacked Alabama on a neutral court, which followed 3.5 weeks of looking lost to start the New Year.  They turned it around at the right time.  This team reminds me a lot of the 2004 National Championship team which had 5 future NBA-ers/great "Big" game, this year's team should also have 5 eventually drafted.  They might not win tourney but they are pretty solid with a great coach.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 1350 UTC by Ct Yankee »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
St. John's has always scheduled teams they thought they'd have trouble with in that shoebox sized on-campus arena. I would expect that tradition to continue with Little Ricky.

One of my favorite memories of the Big East Tournament was Pitino bringing his Louisville team to town the year he got caught doing the nasty on a table his girlfriend after hours at his Lexington, KY. restaurant. The fans chanted her name for most of the game.

Never leave UK, take the Louisville job a few years later, then head back to Lexington to boink your mistress on the side. Most of his employee's were die-hard UK fans. Did he think he was so beloved in Lexington the media wasn't going to hear about it? All that gel and dye he put on his hair must have ate most of his brain cells? The Louisville-UK rivalry is a bitter one, especially in basketball. Even that old Louisville alum, Mitch McConnell, couldn't keep Pitino's misdeeds out of the news. 

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Yep, UConn is a beast this year, unfortunately for Gonzaga (I got my master's from Gonzaga in 2015 and am rabid about the Zags). I think UConn has a good chance of taking it all this year. But I'm also a vengeful fan when it comes to my teams, so I'm rooting for FAU now!
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Bob Huggins had a near fatal heart attack on the floor of a game when he was at Cincy he got so wound up over a call. He took the job at West Virginia and dropped to his knees before his pacemaker from his Cincy day's kicked in during a Big East game early in his tenure at WVU. He was lucky the Med School was under a mile up the road.

I'm surprised the Creighton coach didn't keel over dead after the the call at the end of their game with SDSU today? Any ref knows you swallow the whistle in the last few seconds of the game. Creighton plays in the Big East these days, no blood, no foul in that league. It used to be if you made the tourney, they let you play, not anymore.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email

1020am KDKA Pittsburgh Pirates*

*The Pirates' website mentions some games on KDKA 1020 am.

I can verify that at least the Pirates' weekday afternoon games are on KDKA 1020 am, caught today's Astro/Pirate matinee while driving through western Pennsylvania on said station.