We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Warns Portland Church To Shut Down Pirate FM Operating Under Its Steeple  (Read 1319 times)

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
https://www.insideradio.com/free/fcc-warns-portland-church-to-shut-down-pirate-fm-operating-under-its-steeple/

They may be finding God at the Eastside Free Methodist Church in Portland, OR but it is also where field agents from the Federal Communications Commission are facing a bedeviling problem: pirate radio.

The FCC says its Portland, OR-based agents tracked an unlicensed FM station operating on 90.5 FM to the church on 139th Avenue. It appears field agents did not come across anyone at the site, however, and that may be due in part to questions about whether the church is even open any longer. Some postings online say the Eastside Free Methodist Church has gone dark for good, raising questions about whether it is the church members – or someone else – that is using the space.

Nevertheless, under federal law because Eastside Free Methodist Church owns the building, it is potentially on the hook for enforcement action related to the pirate station. The FCC’s Enforcement Bureau is giving the property owner ten days to respond to the warnings with any evidence they may have, showing they are no longer permitting pirate radio broadcasting to occur on their property. The warning letter to the church also points out it could face a penance of more than $2.3 million in fines.

It is the second Oregon-targeted pirate action to be released by the FCC in recent weeks. Earlier this month, the FCC proposed an $80,000 fine against an alleged pirate operating in La Grande, OR. The FCC says Thomas Barnes was the man behind a pirate station operating on 100.5 FM since at least 2018. Under FCC rules, Barnes has until mid-April to decide if he wants to pay the penalty or file a request that it be cancelled or reduced.

The FCC says it logged its first complaint regarding the eastern Oregon pirate station in 2018. It dispatched Portland, OR-based field agents to investigate, and they tracked the station on 92.3 FM to Barnes’ former residence at the Orchard Motel on Adams Avenue in La Grande. After speaking with him, the FCC says it became apparent that Barnes was the operator of the unlicensed stations. At the time, he agreed to voluntarily surrender his transmitter to the agent.

But a year later, in April 2019, the FCC received a second complaint stating that Barnes was again operating a pirate radio station in La Grande. They tracked the station, again on 92.3 FM, to Barnes’ new home on Jefferson Avenue. He agreed to voluntarily surrender another transmitter to the agent.

Both times the FCC notified Barnes that he could face severe penalties, including substantial monetary fines, for running a pirate station. But that apparently was not enough to discourage him. It received a third complaint about another pirate station in La Grande in March 2022 that agents again traced back to Barnes’ home. This time Barnes’ wife, Rebecca, voluntarily surrendered two transmitters.

Barnes then took to Facebook where he posted a video admitting he was operating a pirate station and that the FCC could not stop him unless it “locked him up.” He then signed-on another station at 100.5 FM. Digging deeper, agents also discovered that Barnes had uploaded over 30 videos to his Facebook account admitting he ran a pirate station.

In its decision to slap Barnes with an $80,000 fine, the FCC said his conduct was “intentional” and he “had been warned multiple times since 2018 that his conduct was illegal, but he nonetheless chose to continue to operate without authorization.”
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Odd that the church is located in Portland but the FCC sent their notice to a church with an address in Salem, OR, almost 60 miles to the south:

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-392167A1.pdf

Here's the church...Here's the steeple...Open up the doors and here're all the...pirates?
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Methodists are a tricky bunch. They managed to convert a good number of Irish on their own in a short amount of time just after forming under John Wesley, while the British couldn't coerce them into joining the Church of England despite controlling the island for centuries. If the FCC is smart, they'll leave the Methodists alone.

Salem is the capital of Oregon. Portland is a radical city, it has been for over a century, just the type of place pirates would be hard to take action on. They're likely in Salem shopping for a friendly judge or three to help them out. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 1224 UTC by Pigmeat »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Odd that the church is located in Portland but the FCC sent their notice to a church with an address in Salem, OR, almost 60 miles to the south:

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-392167A1.pdf

Here's the church...Here's the steeple...Open up the doors and here're all the...pirates?

I would guess that that means that the property owner is based there. Why that would be is anyone's guess - the name seems to indicate a congregation unaffiliated with the United Methodists or other denomination, in other words a completely independent church, so you'd assume they'd be right there in Portland. I noticed it only says Salem without the address, so whether it's a PO Box or a physical location isn't revealed here.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Fighting with a Nigerian preacher over a trivial FM station? These Nigerian mega-churches make their stateside compatriots look like small fry. Add in the fact that he likely belongs to a secret society, where you have to pony up big bucks to join, but get the full financial support of the wealthy and well connected members, he's got money to burn.

DX'ers who display your email addy's, be prepared to get emails from "Prince Ogban" needing money to protect his cousin Vasco who is being persecuted by the US government. Please bring a cashiers check to London, and write your Congressman about this great injustice.

With the first name of "Vasco" his family is likely from the area of the old Portuguese trading city of Calabar, capitol of the Cross River State. With the oil money there , he's likely well off to begin with. The FCC needs to pick it's fights better.

Offline NAPRSSW

• View Profile
Yes Pigmeat, Vasco is a Portuguese name!  Methodists are a tough bunch, don't mess with them!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
My second cousin's wife was the first ordained female Methodist minister in the United States. She was term for female dog that rhymes with "witch". She kept my dog of a cousin in line. When she said, "Jump!" he asked, "How high?"

I had a couple of friends from Calabar in college. Those guys had closets full of handmade English suits, they had both money and diplomatic immunity. We got pulled over one day, the guy driving took the ticket and threw it back at the cop. I thought that was going to 
be the end of us, but the cop knew he couldn't do a thing, so he roared by in his cruiser nearly taking the drivers side door off. Teaching  those two how America worked was a major task.

They had a cousin who claimed to be a Prince and said they were his bodyguards. They said he was full of it. When the world wide web debuted, I decided to look him up. He was now King Bassey of Cross River State. The little blowhard had been telling the truth.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
They had a cousin who claimed to be a Prince and said they were his bodyguards. They said he was full of it. When the world wide web debuted, I decided to look him up. He was now King Bassey of Cross River State. The little blowhard had been telling the truth.

Is that this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassey_Ekpo_Bassey
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
It sounds like him and the age is about right. He was always pissing people off, it looks like he went home and stayed the course.

They entered college late in the States. All of them had been soldiers on the Biafran side in the Nigerian Civil War. The two guys I ran around with had been boy soldiers during the war. If you don't know anything about African civil wars, boy soldiers are used as shock troops. They could tell you tales that would curl your hair. The Biafran side ran out of food frequently, and I don't have to tell you what they had to resort to to survive.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
LaGrande, Oregon -- as anyone who has been through that part of the state knows -- is a small city with few local stations.

One wonders what the story is behind the turning in of the pirate station(s) there. Were the few commercial stations losing that much audience? If you look up "LaGrande FM Radio" in a search most of the stations are in cities 50-100 miles away.

Oh well.

EDIT: seeing mention of this on another thread (including an FCC document) I guess the operator was pushing the limit. But still...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 0510 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
LaGrande, Oregon -- as anyone who has been through that part of the state knows -- is a small city with few local stations.

One wonders what the story is behind the turning in of the pirate station(s) there. Were the few commercial stations losing that much audience? If you look up "LaGrande FM Radio" in a search most of the stations are in cities 50-100 miles away.

Oh well.

EDIT: seeing mention of this on another thread (including an FCC document) I guess the operator was pushing the limit. But still...

I know, it's cow and jackrabbit country. Lot's of mountains and more cows.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
It sounds like him and the age is about right. He was always pissing people off, it looks like he went home and stayed the course.

They entered college late in the States. All of them had been soldiers on the Biafran side in the Nigerian Civil War. The two guys I ran around with had been boy soldiers during the war. If you don't know anything about African civil wars, boy soldiers are used as shock troops. They could tell you tales that would curl your hair. The Biafran side ran out of food frequently, and I don't have to tell you what they had to resort to to survive.

Yeah, that was something I had to research back in the day to figure out what exactly the stage name Jello Biafra meant. I was just a baby when that was going on.
Denver, CO.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
It was brutal and with all that oil up for grabs, money, arms, and foreign mercenaries were flowing in from around the world.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Church pirate stations give 'cover' to the rest of us--- and they have GOD ON THEIR SIDE!!!!

Every church should have their own little FM station, and apply to The Lord for their station licenses !

AMEN!

PS Howdy Corq, old friend!   glad to see you still in the mix here,
and all the rest of you on this thread, of course....

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 0334 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums