We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Active Shortwave Pirates (North America) March 2023  (Read 979 times)

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Active Shortwave Pirates (North America) March 2023
« on: April 01, 2023, 0543 UTC »
This is a list I have compiled based on loggings here on the HFU. It shows all the North American shortwave pirates heard in the month of March 2023. Note that many stations use multiple names so determining the number of actual transmitters in use is impossible. Some stations are also active so infrequently that they may not have been logged this month but may broadcast in the future. Stations are listed alphabetically and show the station name followed by the number of loggings in March 2023.

Most Active Station: North American Pirate Relay Service (20 broadcasts)
Total Broadcasts This Month: 270

77 Lima Juliett Sierra 7
Ballsmacker Radio 6
B Side Radio 3
Captain Morgan Shortwave 4
Cloudsplitter Radio 9
Cold Country Radio 1
Crapola Radio 4
Damn Skippy 3
Dilligaf Radio 1
Disco Radio 1
Elk Country Radio 1
Glen Campbell Radio 1
Good Times Radio 8
Hello Radio 1
Insane Radio 1
ION Radio 5
Jazz for the End of the World 2
Karma Radio 1
KBJ Kick Back Jack 1
Metal Dawg 2
Mix Radio International 7
Monkey Pox Radio 1
No Name Radio 1
North American Pirate Relay Service 20
Nowhere Radio 4
Nuttin on Shortwave 2
Outhouse Radio 9
Partial India Radio 3
Pee Wee 3
Pigmeat's Purple Drink Radio 2
Pigs Knuckles 5
Popup Radio 1
Pseudo Radio 1
Radio 1700 1
Radio Free Whatever 2
Radio Illuminati (Dr. Detroit relay) 1
Radio Peanut Butter 2
Radio Time Machine 1
Radio Vostochnaya Zvezda 18
Sycko Radio 7
Thunder Chicken Radio 11
Truth Radio International 6
Two Dog Radio 3
UNID 48
UNID Tones 1
Uranus Radio 1
Voice of KAOS 1
Voice of Pancho Villa (relayed by other stations) 4
WALF 1
WAVE Radio 1
WBOG 3
WDOG 4
WJAN 1
WMPQ 2
Wolverine Radio 2
WTF Radio Worldwide 1
WUBR Ultimate Blizzard Radio 1
WWWW 2
X-FM 1
Yeah Man Radio 4
YHWH 19
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Active Shortwave Pirates (North America) March 2023
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 1556 UTC »
Nice work.

Chris used to run a query at the end of every year that would compile this info, as well as show which frequencies were in the most use. It's the reason why we're supposed to follow an explicit format when titling the posts - his query was written in a way that parsed that out. I guess there were always improperly formatted titles anyway and he eventually stopped doing it.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 1559 UTC »
Nice work.

Chris used to run a query at the end of every year that would compile this info, as well as show which frequencies were in the most use. It's the reason why we're supposed to follow an explicit format when titling the posts - his query was written in a way that parsed that out. I guess there were always improperly formatted titles anyway and he eventually stopped doing it.

I asked him about it and he said the amount of posts using the wrong format means he cannot get useful results. Sad that people can’t do such a basic thing as following the format, it’s not hard.
Lucas Bandura
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 1759 UTC »
I asked him about it and he said the amount of posts using the wrong format means he cannot get useful results. Sad that people can’t do such a basic thing as following the format, it’s not hard.

No it isn't, but to be fair, I'm not sure it's the most intuitive format either. But never mind. The board has a ton of mods, so I wondered why they couldn't correct the post headings as they appeared? That seems to me to be the best solution. If you've ever been in a position where you have had to help people with their incorrectly entered data, you come to realize that it's just human nature that this stuff doesn't get done right and someone on the back end needs to be there to fix it when it happens. That's just my own opinion.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 1803 UTC »

No it isn't, but to be fair, I'm not sure it's the most intuitive format either. But never mind. The board has a ton of mods, so I wondered why they couldn't correct the post headings as they appeared? That seems to me to be the best solution. If you've ever been in a position where you have had to help people with their incorrectly entered data, you come to realize that it's just human nature that this stuff doesn't get done right and someone on the back end needs to be there to fix it when it happens. That's just my own opinion.

I agree that someone should be correcting the post titles as they appear. I offered to do that job and Chris said the offer was still open but I haven't heard anything else about it since then. The format could use a bit of work. I think the main problem is the format for relays, it seems everybody has their own way to list relays in the topic and a lot of relays never get correctly titled (the thread title is often left with only the name of the station being relayed and not the relaying station).
Lucas Bandura

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 1811 UTC »
I agree that someone should be correcting the post titles as they appear. I offered to do that job and Chris said the offer was still open but I haven't heard anything else about it since then. The format could use a bit of work. I think the main problem is the format for relays, it seems everybody has their own way to list relays in the topic and a lot of relays never get correctly titled (the thread title is often left with only the name of the station being relayed and not the relaying station).

That sounds like a good offer. Yeah, besides relays there's also the problem of logging it when they change frequencies. Sometimes they do it four or five times. I really don't like the "6935 was 6925" format, but I think that's because I really want to put parentheses around "was 6925".
Denver, CO.

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 1824 UTC »

That sounds like a good offer. Yeah, besides relays there's also the problem of logging it when they change frequencies. Sometimes they do it four or five times. I really don't like the "6935 was 6925" format, but I think that's because I really want to put parentheses around "was 6925".

That does also present a problem. I use the format that looks like this: 6925 was 6935/6950 (if the frequency changes more than once). Once I heard one station that changed frequency so many times it would not let me list them all in the title (too long) so I wrote "12230 was many others" and listed them all in the text of the post. That offer is still open if Chris wants to contact me about it.
Lucas Bandura

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 0301 UTC »

Maybe the moderators could 'correct' the subject lines, when they have the time-- there are many mods and they have the power to do it--

and many of the posters are becoming old and confused, LOL.  The next log I post will probably be done incorrectly,
and I will not be insulted if a mod puts it into the correct format...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 0337 UTC »
Nice work, amigo...

I hope that "someone" will soon add more stations back to the list....
if he can tear himself away from his online girlfriends long enough to do it!

jajajajajajaja

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums