We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Podcasts about pirate radio or DXing?  (Read 734 times)

Offline mreleganza

• View Profile
Podcasts about pirate radio or DXing?
« on: April 11, 2023, 0449 UTC »
Any recommendations, whether about history,  news,  or both?

Google brings up too many results where pirate radio is meant non-literally (in particular,  a podcast about East Carolina Pirate sports).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 2212 UTC by mreleganza »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Podcasts about pirate radio?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 1854 UTC »
Ragnar Danistold's, Piratesweek, (Yeah, I know... I butchered that last name spelling.), podcasts was indeed a great one. Question is, was that even archived anywhere so that someone could download and enjoy today. Today though, you have Andrew Yoder's, Hobby Broadcasting Radio podcasts. Show #5 should be coming up around Tax Time. Oh!!!! Another one is Hobart Radio International, but what I get from that feed link is a document tree.   https://feeds.feedburner.com/archive/pOGc    That makes me wonder if HRI is still running today.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
Re: Podcasts about pirate radio?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 1918 UTC »
Ragnar Danistold's, Piratesweek, (Yeah, I know... I butchered that last name spelling.), podcasts was indeed a great one. Question is, was that even archived anywhere so that someone could download and enjoy today.

yup it is
https://archive.org/details/@ragnar_daneskjold

Offline mreleganza

• View Profile
Re: Podcasts about pirate radio or DXing?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 2213 UTC »
Thanks! Let me expand my question to ask for recommendations on shows/podcasts that are about DXing in general; news and/or discussion (besides Glenn Hauser's, which I already listen to). 

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Podcasts about pirate radio or DXing??
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 0416 UTC »
Beyond Glenn Hauser? Well, I know where you can listen to a bunch on-air weekly. Ever listen to the 160M, 1860kHz AM, Gateway WA0RCR station every Saturday night? It's a little rough to listen too, with warm season upon us and lightning crashes in there, but most of those shows have websites to check out, when they announce them.  https://wa0rcr.mbohnhoffinc.com/   Hope that helps.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.