We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Using LM7805 regulators for AF / RF amps?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Using LM7805 regulators for AF / RF amps?
« on: April 20, 2023, 1728 UTC »
I've thought about using the LM**** series of voltage regulators as AM modulators, but never thought that they could be useful at RF FREQ's. FWR by Boomer:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=425423
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Re: Using LM7805 regulators for AF / RF amps?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 1805 UTC »
Yes. In that circuit, its upper frequency limit is likely defined first by the internal parasitics of the silicon die, the package and the physical PCB layout than so much the internal circuit design.

Also, you folks seeking a simple AM modulator for your <15 Watt transmitter can do as shown in the applications section of the L78xx data sheet:
https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/22615/STMICROELECTRONICS/L7805.html

Page 22, figure 34, “Power AM Modulator”.

The concepts of the two are similar. The regulator does exactly what it is supposed to do: regulate a voltage. In the case of these circuits, ground voltage is being brought up and down by the AC or RF input. Therefore, the user is impressing that AC or RF voltage on the output of the regulator, which is forced to follow.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 1859 UTC »
In the application you'd use it as a 'Series Modulator'. You're modulating the DC (at an audio frequency)not RF. Very linear and inefficient. Simple tho'.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 2316 UTC »
You're modulating the DC (at an audio frequency) not RF.

You're confused and simultaneously confusing, as usual. Let's clarify.

Forgetting about which circuit we're talking about for a second, if you modulate the DC that is fed to a final amplifier, then you will amplitude modulate the signal. That's pretty fundamental. You can do this with a Class-A modulator, such as shown here or you can do it other ways, like a Class-D modulator and LPF. Either way, you're making the DC fed to the final amplifier wiggle up and down and that produces amplitude modulation on the RF at the "wiggle frequency".

In the case of the circuit from the OP, it only produces RF (without AF modulation, unless the RF already has modulation on it) riding on the DC. In the case of the second circuit, the one that I posted, it probably won't work very well at RF because it needs an inductor that the first circuit has.

I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."