We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DIP SWITCH PROGRAMMING  (Read 770 times)

Offline TimL

• Upstate South Carolina, USA.
  • Listening out near the Blue Ridge Mountains.
    • View Profile
DIP SWITCH PROGRAMMING
« on: February 08, 2024, 2149 UTC »
Hi everyone!  I'm a complete dunce when it comes to DIP switches and math in general. Does anyone know of a really dummies guide to programming an 8 switch? Or assist generally?  Many thanks.
Tim Lewis. Various SDRs and hard radios. MLA-30. MLA-30+. 118ft random wire. 18 ft random wire. Moonraker HF vertical. Having fun!

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: DIP SWITCH PROGRAMMING? That depends upon various factors.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 1940 UTC »
Unfortunately, that's a fairly broad question, since that all depends upon the circuit designer, and the type of PLL IC's used. Panaxis had their own scheme, with a DIP switch Chart for FREQ setting. Ransey Electronics Kits did that math equation with X100, X10, and X1, with Motorola PLL IC's. And, from what I'm told, those newer Chez Pocasters and, (I'm brainfarting on the Part 15 TX MFG'er...), still uses the DIP switch scheme. So, with the lack of documentation, may I suggest loading to a dummyload, with an attenuated RF sample OUT, to a FREQ counter and try it that way. BTW, there were several Two-Way radios that could be programmed that way as well. Hmmmmmmm... Back to transmitters, with DIP Switch FREQ settings, I probably should upload the Panaxis manuals to my Archive.org site.  Anyway... I hope that this helps. Oh yeah... Progressive Concepts may have manuals for their Part 15 transmitters.  https://progressive-concepts.com/product-category/am-transmitters/    Ah!!!! Rangemaster!!! That, was the one that escaped me.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: DIP SWITCH PROGRAMMING? Boomer found this!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 1744 UTC »
https://www.tompolk.com/radios/frequencysynthesizer/freqsynth.html   This page should help. THANK YOU Boomer!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.