We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC To Pirate Landowners: Enforcement Is Coming  (Read 1040 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
FCC To Pirate Landowners: Enforcement Is Coming
« on: April 26, 2023, 1135 UTC »
The FCC’s Enforcement Bureau issued warnings to sixteen landowners in the New York City/New Jersey area for allowing illegal broadcasting from their property. The warnings were sent out as part of the Bureau’s 2022-2023 New York Pirate Sweeps.

This wave comes with the new powers that Congress bestowed on the FCC through the PIRATE Act, including higher penalties against pirate radio broadcasters of up to $115,802 per day with a maximum of $2,316,034. That maximum can be levied if the FCC determines that the party continued to permit any individual or entity to engage in pirate radio broadcasting from any property that they own or manage.

Full article: https://radioink.com/2023/04/25/fcc-to-pirate-landowners-enforcement-is-coming/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: FCC To Pirate Landowners: Enforcement Is Coming
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 0250 UTC »
The "Pirate Act" is certainly a government-sanctioned crime committed against landlords!

It is an admission by the F.C.C. and the government that they are completely unable to control the airwaves,
(and it is quite right that they should be unable to completely control the airwaves-- because they govern the airwaves by the rule of MONEY, rather than the First Amendment!)

Since the FCC is unable to do it, and the government will not grant them the funds needed to hire enough "radio policeman" to do it,
through this law they are attempting to "draft" every landlord in the country to serve as additional "radio policemen"
to enforce laws which they have proven unable to enforce, without pay, and threatening to impoverish them with fines if they don't do it... a role for which almost all landlords are completely unqualified to perform, even if they had the time...

Speaking as a radio pirate, I have never "informed" any of my landlords about what I was doing on their property...but through this law they could be held liable for it (if it was on the AM or FM bands)...

It would seem that such landlords' only recourse, once informed of the violations, would be to attempt to evict the pirate, which can take many months in some states.... meanwhile the pirate could continue to broadcast from their property.   Will this be considered as "allowing the violations to continue",  or not?   The law seems vague.

Neither small nor large landlords are qualified to perform such radio policing, other than attempting to evict the pirates in court. I suppose that is the point?  Merely using the landlords to make continuous operations more difficult for the radio pirates by forcing landlords to evict those accused as pirate radio operators ?

Any radio pirate worth their salt would be able to operate independently of any fixed location.

If I were an FM pirate in such states, I would be mobile-able, and one of my favorite transmitting locations would be
the top floor of a parking ramp building--- from my car

but operations from inside the top of tall buildings might also be possible, operating at lower power levels via batteries and minimal antennas.
(luckily at FM the antennas are very small).

In any case, the "Pirate" Act is an admission of total defeat by the FCC,
and an attack upon small landlords, for whom I have sympathy.

FM pirates who have any brains are not going to be driven from the airwaves by these laws.  They might have to operate at lower power levels than they would from a fixed location--- and not operate 24-7, but they can stay on the air if they are clever and educated in radio.

I take it for granted that almost all such northeast FM radio pirates are not operating continuously from property that they themselves own... and there are so many FM transmitters being sold here in the US, good and bad, that the FCC is in a completely hopeless battle... That is why landlords have been threatened with this law which would put many of the small landlords completely out of business, if monetary forfeitures were enforced against them...

I do thank the almighty that the law does not apply to shortwave pirates... That seems a blaring sign that the FCC does not give a shit about us--- other than to bust one of us every couple years.... but of course shortwave radio is becoming a 'backwater' and the commercial broadcasters don't even know what "shortwave radio" is, anymore...

Hello Chris, and all my old friends....  Salud! 
John Poet is still alive out here somewhere...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Mathew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 0753 UTC »
The FCC is sending a clear word that they are serious about stopping pirate radio broadcasting and that people who let it happen on their property will face serious consequences.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 1348 UTC »
The FCC is sending a clear word that they are serious about stopping pirate radio broadcasting and that people who let it happen on their property will face serious consequences.

"or pushback against broadcasters’ almost hysterical claims about pirate radio stations overwhelming their signal and impeding first responders in emergency situations. Most Americans have probably never encountered a pirate radio station in their life, and that includes the time when radio was actually a popular medium."
https://5mag.net/news/pirate-radio-record-fines-pirate-act/

"Nobody but the trades seem to be writing about the radio industry’s war on pirate radio broadcasters"
https://5mag.net/news/pirate-radio-crushed/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 1423 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 1512 UTC »

My brother-in-law and sister were landlords with several properties and over the years they told me what restrictions were placed on them regarding background checks on potential renters. Add in the legal hoops they would have to jump through to get rid of a tenant for breaking a lease or conducting an illegal activity on "their" property.................  Yeah not much a landlord can do, and yet they are the ones being punished.  What a scam the broadcast industry is running just because they can buy the FCC and as many congressman as needed.

Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 0440 UTC »
It would seem that such landlords' only recourse, once informed of the violations, would be to attempt to evict the pirate, which can take many months in some states

And before they are informed, it would mean that they have to be nosy at all times. Not exactly what I want in a landlord.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 2027 UTC »
Simply stay out of the greater NYC metro area and off of MW and FM.

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 1140 UTC »
I wonder what that 900 ft. Jesus that Oral Roberts saw walking around Tulsa in the 1980's had in it's head? Was it really Jesus or a big Mexican guy whose friend's called him "Chuy"?

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 2233 UTC »
Expect landlords soon to forbid ANY outdoor antenna !

And if they are not aware of all that by themselves, expect to find that on pre-printed conditions sold to them.

And the ARRL still sees no threat to the renewal of the ham community...

D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns