We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DaveP passes  (Read 810 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
DaveP passes
« on: April 26, 2023, 2116 UTC »
It is with deep sadness that I must alert the forum of Dave (DaveP) Pearell's passing.  Dave and I began contributing to HFU about the same time in 2016.  We kindled an email friendship over his monarch butterfly post and our correspondence blossomed from there to include gardening, hiking, grandsons, post retirement part time work during COVID, ingenious solutions to problems, and, of course, radios.

I have been traveling a great deal over the past month (still not home) and have not communicated with friends as frequently.  I sent Dave an email late last week to touch base and share a working 1957 nordemende someone owned in my travels. Surprisingly, I had not heard back shortly after emailing him. I saw the obit today.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/timesdispatch/name/david-pearrell-obituary?id=51651921
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 1732 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DaveP passes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 2136 UTC »
Sorry to hear that Dave has passed away. I noticed that he had posted a few weeks back...he always seemed enthusiastic about the hobby and his posts were always concise and polite. My deepest condolences to his family!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 0040 UTC »
Dave was a good guy.  We had many exchanges over the years about his not-so-low-power AM he ran at home, and other projects.  He will be missed by all of us.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 0320 UTC »
Ah darn, that's a shame. I enjoyed the big thread he started about Monarch butterflies, among his other posts. RIP. Thanks for letting us know.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 2038 UTC »
I concur w/ Redhat's post, though I never knew about the AM thing, the rapscallion! I liked the pic, the man had great taste in shirts.

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 2336 UTC »
Lot's of sad new this year..  RIP Dave..
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 0102 UTC »
I enjoyed Dave’s posts on my station. The last one from 25 meters. He will be missed.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com