We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Please Make Some Suggestions for Seattle SWLing  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Please Make Some Suggestions for Seattle SWLing
« on: June 06, 2013, 1526 UTC »
Hello:

I live in Seattle, Washington USA.  I am pretty new to SWLing and find the entire subject to be endlessly fascinating.  I was drawn into the hobby by a life-long interest in World War II history, codes and code-breaking, and from my subsequent discovery of numbers stations via The Conet Project CD set.  Since then, I have read quite a bit on the subject of shortwave and my favorite area of shortwave oddities (the book Underground Frequency Guide: A Directory of Unusual, Illegal, and Covert Radio Communications by Donald W. Schimmel is a good primer on this, though seriously outdated in some aspects).

My two radios are a Radio Shack DSX-350, AM/FM/LW/SW1-9 12-Band Portable Receiver and a Radio Shack Multiband PLL Digital with SSB.  I also have a Sangean ANT-60 Short Wave Antenna which really helps to pull in some of the weaker signals.  I hope to have a good desktop receiver in the future.  For now, I must satisfy my SWL habit through those two cheap portables.  However, I have been able to find some pretty interesting stuff on both of those radios, including the Cuban V2A numbers station.

I am hoping that members of this board will be able to make some suggestions for frequencies and stations that I can likely find and hear from my location here in Seattle, using the radios that I currently have at my disposal.  Any suggestions would be a big help.

Thanks!

Nella F.

Re: Please Make Some Suggestions for Seattle SWLing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 0010 UTC »
www.primetimeshortwave.com I use the Shortwave schedule time sort database (@ the top) as there are signals that, though not intended for N. A. , never the less reach our area. (I live in western  Wa. also). Australia, New Zealand, BBC all intended for "Asia" reach our area. Try 1100utc and later.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 0013 UTC by Nella F. »

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 0119 UTC »
Checkout www.spynumbers.com; it has a lot of information on numbers stations. Get familiar with using the database; it has a lot of reports from users who have heard numbers stations, and includes data on when the station was heard, who heard it, and where the listener was located.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 0120 UTC »
Thanks, much appreciated.

I picked up Radio New Zealand a few nights ago.  If you know of any oddities or other traffic that I can listen for, please share.

www.primetimeshortwave.com I use the Shortwave schedule time sort database (@ the top) as there are signals that, though not intended for N. A. , never the less reach our area. (I live in western  Wa. also). Australia, New Zealand, BBC all intended for "Asia" reach our area. Try 1100utc and later.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 0125 UTC »
Thanks, and yes, I have checked out most of the online sources that list frequencies for number stations and other interesting signals. The trouble is, I can't manage to ever find any of them other than the Cuban "Atencion" station.  I was hoping that someone from my area might be able to suggest specific frequencies and times for stations that I can hear from here.

Thanks.

Checkout www.spynumbers.com; it has a lot of information on numbers stations. Get familiar with using the database; it has a lot of reports from users who have heard numbers stations, and includes data on when the station was heard, who heard it, and where the listener was located.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 1127 UTC »
I wouldn't knock the fact you're using 'cheap portables' too much.  A lot can still be heard with inexpensive radios.  If your digital radio (does it have a model #?) has SSB, it's probably adequate for SWLing (the DX-350 is better used for bandscanning, and MW DXing / listening).

All I use is digital portables, and I've logged a lot of stations with them.  Here in the NW you can generally use more wire with digital portable SW radios than in other places, because our signal levels aren't as strong as they are back East where a wire can easily overload a portable radio's RF section.  You might try adding some extra wire to the SSB radio's antenna jack (if it has one) and see if you get better SW reception.  Try 30 or 40 ft of wire and see if that helps.  I once had a 70 ft wire and it didn't overload my digital portables.

As for what you can expect to hear, you'll probably hear a lot more foreign language SW broadcasts than English language broadcasts here in the NW US.  I receive a lot more Spanish broadcasts and Asian language stations than I do English ones.  

As for SW broadcasts, late evenings you can hear Cuba and Brazil (Cuba in English on 6010 and several other frequencies, Brazil in Portuguese on 6180 and 11780 khz).  Australia and New Zealand have strong signals on the 25 meter band (11945 khz for R. Australia and 11725 khz for RNZI) and the 21 meter band (13630 for R. Australia).  Radio Rebelde (Cuba) broadcasts in Spanish on 5025 khz.  China Radio International has a couple broadcasts in English that come in pretty well at night, as does North Korea.

When propagation is working right you can hear a lot of foreign language stations from Japan, China, SE Asia and South Asia on 41 meters and 31 meters in the early morning hours.

If you want to listen to the ham bands, the 20 meter band (14000-14350) and 17 meter bands (18068-18168) have a lot of activity in the late afternoon and early evening.  40 meters (7000 - 7300 khz) has a lot of activity during the night and early morning hours. Sometimes during the early morning you can hear the Indonesian ham pirates talking in Indonesian (and sometimes chanting) just below 7000 khz, or in the low reaches of the 40 meter ham band.

80 meters I've found more or less boring, and the higher ham bands (15, 12, 10 meters) are usually more or less dead.

I'm not that into utility or numbers listening, so the others here will have more to say about it than I can.

I've found the SW station lists on www.eibispace.de and www.short-wave.info very useful because those two sites are quite extensive when it comes to listing foreign language broadcasts (EiBi also has some of the main utility weather broadcasts listed) -- and most of what I hear seems to be in Spanish, Portuguese, or some Asian or African language.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 1129 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 1316 UTC »
For schedules, I'll give my SWBC Schedules app a shameless plug: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/iphone/SWBC.html
It's for iPhone/iPad as well as Android.
Besides, the usual SWBC stations, there's a fair number of utility and spy numbers stations as well. Updates are regular via the EIBI database.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 1338 UTC »
Thank you very much, BoomboxDX, what you wrote is very encouraging. I have the patience that it takes to find interesting stations (I told my nephew that it is a lot like fishing) but just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeking to catch a whale in a barrel.  

Your list and antennae suggestions will be a huge help. Again, thanks.

I wouldn't knock the fact you're using 'cheap portables' too much.  A lot can still be heard with inexpensive radios.  If your digital radio (does it have a model #?) has SSB, it's probably adequate for SWLing (the DX-350 is better used for bandscanning, and MW DXing / listening).

All I use is digital portables, and I've logged a lot of stations with them.  Here in the NW you can generally use more wire with digital portable SW radios than in other places, because our signal levels aren't as strong as they are back East where a wire can easily overload a portable radio's RF section.  You might try adding some extra wire to the SSB radio's antenna jack (if it has one) and see if you get better SW reception.  Try 30 or 40 ft of wire and see if that helps.  I once had a 70 ft wire and it didn't overload my digital portables.

As for what you can expect to hear, you'll probably hear a lot more foreign language SW broadcasts than English language broadcasts here in the NW US.  I receive a lot more Spanish broadcasts and Asian language stations than I do English ones.  

As for SW broadcasts, late evenings you can hear Cuba and Brazil (Cuba in English on 6010 and several other frequencies, Brazil in Portuguese on 6180 and 11780 khz).  Australia and New Zealand have strong signals on the 25 meter band (11945 khz for R. Australia and 11725 khz for RNZI) and the 21 meter band (13630 for R. Australia).  Radio Rebelde (Cuba) broadcasts in Spanish on 5025 khz.  China Radio International has a couple broadcasts in English that come in pretty well at night, as does North Korea.

When propagation is working right you can hear a lot of foreign language stations from Japan, China, SE Asia and South Asia on 41 meters and 31 meters in the early morning hours.

If you want to listen to the ham bands, the 20 meter band (14000-14350) and 17 meter bands (18068-18168) have a lot of activity in the late afternoon and early evening.  40 meters (7000 - 7300 khz) has a lot of activity during the night and early morning hours. Sometimes during the early morning you can hear the Indonesian ham pirates talking in Indonesian (and sometimes chanting) just below 7000 khz, or in the low reaches of the 40 meter ham band.

80 meters I've found more or less boring, and the higher ham bands (15, 12, 10 meters) are usually more or less dead.

I'm not that into utility or numbers listening, so the others here will have more to say about it than I can.

I've found the SW station lists on www.eibispace.de and www.short-wave.info very useful because those two sites are quite extensive when it comes to listing foreign language broadcasts (EiBi also has some of the main utility weather broadcasts listed) -- and most of what I hear seems to be in Spanish, Portuguese, or some Asian or African language.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 1452 UTC by pcldltr »

Nella F.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 2348 UTC »

this does not work, nor does .org or .net or .gov   ???

Fansome

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 0027 UTC »
Oops. Try just www.spynumbers.com without the semicolon. It needed a colon cleansing.

this does not work, nor does .org or .net or .gov   ???

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 0028 UTC »
Monitoring Times magazine has a nice extensive listing of foreign and domestic stations / times, etc., in each issue. The following link will provide you with three sample copies (2 from 2012, and on from 2011. They all are PDF files and download fast. A great freebie!

Interestingly one of the Monitoring Times free for download has a fairly sizeable article on Pirate Radio! :D

Link: http://www.monitoringtimes.com/MT/html/free_issue.html

Best...   RCCI - Steve
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 0034 UTC by RCCI - Radio Comedy Club International »
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 0135 UTC »
Excellent, thank you for the links.  I've read Monitoring Times before, but not in a long while.

Monitoring Times magazine has a nice extensive listing of foreign and domestic stations / times, etc., in each issue. The following link will provide you with three sample copies (2 from 2012, and on from 2011. They all are PDF files and download fast. A great freebie!

Interestingly one of the Monitoring Times free for download has a fairly sizeable article on Pirate Radio! :D

Link: http://www.monitoringtimes.com/MT/html/free_issue.html

Best...   RCCI - Steve

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns