We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sterling... we have a problem  (Read 3899 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Sterling... we have a problem
« on: June 06, 2013, 1538 UTC »
I think the chute didn't open correctly. Here's the altitude plot:

The descent is much quicker.

Here's the map of the received sonde locations:

And the CUSF predictions:

I got set up earlier, and was in a different location, so I could gather data earlier in the launch. Also the last data packet was at an elevation of only 5.9 degrees, impressive with all the trees I was shooting through. I sometimes had to move the antenna a few feet either way to get through a better break in the leaves. Still a huge improvement over previous attempts.

Oh and here is a plot of the ascent / descent rate over time:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 1608 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline w5cdt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sterling... we have a problem
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 1955 UTC »
Great job Chris  ;)

The CUSF predictor did a reasonably good job.  Winds aloft are not always as forecasted (my pilot experience).
Sounds like the dish helps you cut through the tree loss at 1.68GHz.  Initial descent rate is over 60 mph. Wow!

-Charlie

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: Sterling... we have a problem
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 0102 UTC »
Cool stuff!  Thanks for sharing.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.