We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate WKND [We're K-9 Dog] Op, Inventor Of The Grenade 40 transmitter on TV  (Read 3330 times)

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
This from DXer John  Fisher - MA: "There was a show on the National Geographic Channel (I think Tuesday) about people with strange obsessions. Radio Animal "Boomer" was featured for about 10 minutes. Really thinks he is a dog".
Did anyone happen to catch this?  I didn't, will have to see if I can get it on demand.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
For a while over on the Furreh Radio Network site nearly every post concerned him and his battle to change his name. Any contrary opinion (ie: my opinion) immediately invoked the wrath of the sock puppet army, which continues to this day. I bailed on the site in disgust and now enjoy my time here.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
I haven't seen the full episode yet, but saw the ad with Boomer featured - the show is called Taboo.

Good to see Boomer out there doing his thing, even if it's not radio :)
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
It looks like it is on again this Tuesday at 6 pm Eastern.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
Good!  I will record.
Boomer is a good guy.  Yes his affiliation with FRN goes way back.  Don't judge him based on that. He has nothing to do with FRN assdouchery.

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
Boomer is a good guy.  Yes his affiliation with FRN goes way back.  Don't judge him based on that. He has nothing to do with FRN assdouchery.
My problem wasn't with him or what he does; I have enough of my own quirks to start a focus group. My concern was that the entire site was being taken over by a group of people (the sock puppets) obsessing over something not even remotely pirate or radio related. It should be noted that at NO time did Boomer post, and at NO time did I address comments to him.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Boomer on National Geographic? Way to go Boomer!

Maybe this will help him with getting his named legally changed.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I just received an email from Boomer. He says there are more clips from the show on his website, if you folks are interested. It's www.boomerthedog.net

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Makes me appreciate my my WKND QLS's all the more...
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks pigmeat for the update! 8)
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here's a direct link to a short promo about Boomer for the show on National Geographic's site.

Boomer isn't the only furry in the radio hobby.  Rene Ramirez (W3BNY) is into the scene (BTW, Rene has emphasized he has absolutely no connection to the pirate radio Commander Bunny character or WBNY.  It's just a coincidence).  There's also a furry hams website with several members.

He may be a mad genius, which probably makes him the ideal mascot for pirate radio.  Boomer is okay by me.  Whatever makes people happy makes the world a better place.

The background music on one of his YouTube videos from the Anthrocon led me to the great song "Wolf Like Me" by TV on the Radio, which has been one of my favorite earworms for the past few years.  There's also a great bluegrass style version of that song by Lera Lynn.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 1023 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Andy Yoder and I refer to him as the Nikola Tesla of Pirate Radio, Lex.

What's the video can't show is what happens to your attitude after meeting him. Once you start talking to him you realize how bright he is and how broad and deep his knowledge is on a myriad of topics. You forget about the dog stuff about five minutes in and are boggled by his mind.

Plus he's a real cool guy to hang out with.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile

Boomer is okay by me.  Whatever makes people happy makes the world a better place.

My sentiments exactly, Lex.  Boomer is a brilliant guy who has taught me so much about radio transmitters - I could never thank him enough.  We have had several lonnnnnng conversations, both face to face and phone con.  The neat thing is, if you get Boomer talking about transmitters, all sense of time disappears.  I remember once back in the mid 90s with him on the phone.  By the time we had signed off - FIVE hours had gone by!  I would never have believed it if I hadn't experienced it.  He's one of a kind, and an irreplaceable part of U.S. pirate radio history.  Whether he's still involved or not, he'll always be fondly remembered for his contributions...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns