We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Scoop: Congress moves to preserve AM radio in cars  (Read 915 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Scoop: Congress moves to preserve AM radio in cars
« on: May 17, 2023, 1610 UTC »
A bipartisan group of lawmakers wants to make it illegal for carmakers to eliminate AM radio from their cars, arguing public safety is at risk, Axios is first to report.

The proposed legislation, to be introduced today by Senators Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) and others, would require all new vehicles to include AM radio at no additional charge.

Full story: https://www.axios.com/2023/05/17/am-radio-congress-cars
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Scoop: Congress moves to preserve AM radio in cars
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 1314 UTC »
"The National Association of Broadcasters has launched a campaign to preserve AM radio, and Sen. Ed Markey, D-Massachusetts, is pushing the cause in Congress. Their argument centers on public safety, as AM radio is the most efficient means to get critical information to the public.

The commercial stations that make up the National Association of Broadcasters have a vested interest in maintaining radio as a viable industry."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/commentary/story/2023-05-15/opinion-remove-am-radio-media-new-cars-technology-vintage
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 0622 UTC »
Nevermind FEMA has dumped untold millions into hardening transmission facilities in the fleet of EAS PEP AM stations....

I'm sure the government wouldn't want to see that money wasted..oh wait.

https://rbr.com/homeland-security-installing-transmitters-nationwide/

+-RH
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 0626 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 1353 UTC »
It’s worth noting that the proposed bill specifically calls for digital audio AM receivers.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 1650 UTC »
There is an exemption that does not include all-digital AM, but implies hybrid mode must be supported.  This sounds to me like HD AM demodulation is not required.  Thus, as long as conventional AM is supported, the vehicle meets the requirements of the act.

+-RH

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 1835 UTC »
I assume you are talking about the wording in Sec 2: 7 (a) and (b).  I don’t read it that way.

To me, the way the whole bill is written implies they really want digital AM.  If the car radio only had conventional AM, it would not be compliant.  It would have to be a hybrid receiver.  Sec 2: 14 (b) 3 clearly shows they want digital.

I could see this as a bone thrown to the automobile manufacturers as it might ease their worries about vehicle generated RFI.  The RFI would still be there, but the end consumer would not hear it.  All he would notice is poor range on AM.

The exclusion against an all digital AM station receiver is weird.  Maybe that is a concession to all of the analog AM stations out there, that they are being included.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 1937 UTC »
If their intention was to mandate HD reception, they wouldn't have the exemption for all-digital reception.  As most laws, it is vague and confusing for a reason.

+-RH
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 0110 UTC by redhat »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 2111 UTC »
Vague or no, it's a good idea, if only for emergency redundancy (and the FEMA transmitters mentioned upthread).

Redundancy for emergency information delivery systems is a good thing.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns