We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Declassified Spy Outpost Lurks on the Dark Side of the Earth  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
The Soniferous Ęther is a 35mm film by Charles Stankievech.  The film was shot at the Canadian Forces Station (CFS) ALERT Signals Intelligence Station, a signals intelligence intercept facility that is only 450 nautical miles south of the North Pole.

Check out the haunting trailer here:

https://vimeo.com/studiostankievech/tsa-trailer

Full article at: http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/06/charles-stankievech-northernmost-settlement/

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
Re: Declassified Spy Outpost Lurks on the Dark Side of the Earth
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 1820 UTC »
A friend of ours was actually an operator there. The Russians were well aware that they were being monitored and would occasionally acknowledge the Canadians. There were even a few unofficial QSO's between the two sides.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 1847 UTC »
That is an interesting story.  I never even knew the place existed until I read the Wired article and the Wikipedia entry for the Canadian site.

I really like the fact that the filmmaker used a Russian numbers station broadcast in his movie trailer (or at least I think that was a Russian numbers broadcast.  Regardless, it is most effective for generating mood in the film clip).

A friend of ours was actually an operator there. The Russians were well aware that they were being monitored and would occasionally acknowledge the Canadians. There were even a few unofficial QSO's between the two sides.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 2200 UTC »
One of my cousins was stationed at one of those places, near Thule in Greenland back in the early 70's. He joined the Air Force to avoid combat duty in S.E. Asia. He got what he wanted.

His response after coming back was, "I'd have rather been shot at."

We still call him "Eskimo Ted".

Offline Northern Relay Service

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 2213 UTC »
Don't know whats so classified about it . Every Canadian ham through the 60'-90's had worked "Alert". They always had hams on the team for "PR"  ;D duty . Here is a link to a film trailer about a deadly supply run to Alert starring Richard Chamberlain. I imagine that is the story behind the wing in the clip. I remember the movie as a made for TV film .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn682WQsRKc

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 2349 UTC »
Very interesting read. I remember Alert as one of my most memorable ham radio contacts back in 1995. The guy told me he was the only one there at the time and awaiting supplies. He also stated he was in the military and one of the reasons for being there was to prevent the Russians from taking possession of the station. I have attached a copy of the QSL I received at the time.
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: aurora6925 (at) mail.com
Icom 756Pro3 rig & 133 ft Carolina-Windom ant
Pittsburgh PA

cmradio

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 0909 UTC »
Don't know whats so classified about it . Every Canadian ham through the 60'-90's had worked "Alert".

I knew about it, too ???

Peace!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 1043 UTC »
Wow, that place looks like complete desolation.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

cmradio

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 1321 UTC »
Wow, that place looks like complete desolation.

Welcome to the tundra :D

Slated to be the next Saudi Arabia for oil/gas deposits though.

Peace!