We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Re: UNID 6950 USB 2324 UTC 22 MAY 2023  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 6950 USB 2324 UTC 22 MAY 2023
« on: May 23, 2023, 0355 UTC »
Dude, the turntable is set to a slow speed. You're ruining this wonderful New Wave music.

I'm imagining that this is Zeekie coming down off his 'shrooms. Zeekie ruins everything.

0039 - A Spanish-speaking peskie is on the same freq/USB talking over "Another One Bites The Dust". Significantly lower signal strength than Mr. Slow-Turntable on previously.

Or he recorded it on his audio software at the wrong bit rate. Set it off one way it comes out sounding like the Chipmunks on meth, set it off the other and it sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher on a Nyquil bender.

I wouldn't call it "New Wave" exactly. Elvis Costello and The Attractions and the Joe Jackson Band were New Wave. Mojo Nixon referred to this stuff as "Foo-Foo Haircut" music. Think of A Flock of Seagull's, their music and their haircuts and you've got it.

Now, how to define Zeeky. I nominate "Paranoid Schizophrenic", but I'm just a layman.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Re: Re: UNID 6950 USB 2324 UTC 22 MAY 2023
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 1940 UTC »
Or he recorded it on his audio software at the wrong bit rate.

I can't tell if you are trying to be serious here but no, the bitrate alone won't do it. That would certainly affect the fidelity and the ability to play it at all though. In any case, there are ways to speed up and slow down recordings as regular settings in most or all audio software these days, no turntable involved.

I wouldn't call it "New Wave" exactly. Elvis Costello and The Attractions and the Joe Jackson Band were New Wave. Mojo Nixon referred to this stuff as "Foo-Foo Haircut" music. Think of A Flock of Seagull's, their music and their haircuts and you've got it.

It's rare that I feel the need to correct you Mr. Meat, however, having lived and breathed this stuff in high school and university, complete with the hair, the pointy shoes and the skinny tie (but no earrings), I can assure you that New Order and Depeche Mode (and a few other bands that I recognized while the headphones were on and off my head as I ran around at work) are/were New Wave and it's not just me making that up.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 1625 UTC »
"New Wave" was a marketing term the recording industry came up with to describe pop-punk and post-punk music. Punk didn't get played on the radio except in markets where there was a listener base large and diverse enough to support or on college radio. A friend of mine got fired for playing a Ramones tune on the midnight to six shift in 1979 on a regional FM station, four years after the boys recorded their first album. You could play Blondie, you could play the Go-Go's, you could play Nick Lowe, but you couldn't play the Ramones, the Clash, or The Jam. Why? Those last three acts were "Punk" while the first three were pop enough to be labeled "New Wave". Nick Lowe and his band Rockpile were rooted in Pub Rock and Rockabilly. Acts like Blondie, firmly Punk early on, as were the Go-Go's. They slid into "New Wave", you can sell bands fronted by pretty women, all you've got to is get them to mainstream their sound, and that's what happened.

Depeche Mode and New Order? Proto-Goth. Those two acts got a great industrial sounding post-punk band like The Cure to start wearing Kabuki makeup and warbling morosely. They even ruined The Gang of Four, whose debut album, "Entertainment" is a classic and a road map to where post-punk music should have went, lots of distortion and wise-ass lyrics. I blame the Psychedelic Furs and Ecstasy.

The last real punk band to emerge was Stiff Little Fingers, two Catholics and two Prot's from Ulster in 1978/79. The height of "The Troubles". Those guys put their lives on the line every time they played a gig in Ulster. Other bands like the Clash talked the talk, those lads lived it. After The Jam split, they picked up Bruce Foxton as bass player. A damned Englishman, that took a big set of stones.

Again, "New Wave" was just a marketing term to sell a certain type of music and fashion. They got you to wear a skinny tie didn't they? The only pointy toed footwear I ever wore were cowboy boots because all the cool guys like Jerry Lee Lewis and Boozoo Chavis wore 'em. I still wear red socks in honor of Slim Whitman. You don't get any cooler than Slim, just ask Kinky Friedman.

Offline TheHappyWanker

• W PA & OTR
  • After 25 yrs I find myself back to Pirate Radio???
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 1807 UTC »
Pork Chop Great dissertation! and dead on! Do you remember Stiff Records! I still have the Tee shirt they had. It Says "If It Ain't Stiff.. It Ain't Worth A F@CK... XL and It still fits! LOL
Where and how do you rate the Dead Kennedy's?

Be well,
THW
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 1810 UTC by TheHappyWanker »
IC-7300,2 R-390A, SP600, SX 62A, SX71, NC173, Antennas: Butternut HF9V, 2 EFHW 80-10 120' 1 N/S 1 E/W, EFWH 40-10, 62' E/W, RX LOOP (.5-30) with Rotor.  RSPdx & Duo Rice Box used when traveling with Chinese loop. If so desired a EQSL can go to TheHappyWanker@Gmail. Thx "Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you..." MX ID is my Old Ears and Memory. If I cant copy here it isn't DX! The Web Stuff isn't DX... OK its remote DX via the Electronic Ether...LOL All The gig DARPA brought us...

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 0007 UTC »
"New Wave" was a marketing term the recording industry came up with to describe pop-punk and post-punk music.

Of course it's a marketing term but so is every other term describing a specific genre of music, and we have to have those in order to have a common framework for discussion. Otherwise there would be no way of simply communicating the differences between Beethoven and Sham 69 without having to recite a long list of characteristics.

By your logic, "HF", "VHF" and "UHF" are just "marketing terms" with no real distinction between them. Feel free to use your 2m antenna on 80 meters.

Punk didn't get played on the radio except in markets where there was a listener base large and diverse enough to support or on college radio. A friend of mine got fired for playing a Ramones tune on the midnight to six shift in 1979 on a regional FM station, four years after the boys recorded their first album. You could play Blondie, you could play the Go-Go's, you could play Nick Lowe, but you couldn't play the Ramones, the Clash, or The Jam. Why? Those last three acts were "Punk" while the first three were pop enough to be labeled "New Wave". Nick Lowe and his band Rockpile were rooted in Pub Rock and Rockabilly. Acts like Blondie, firmly Punk early on, as were the Go-Go's. They slid into "New Wave", you can sell bands fronted by pretty women, all you've got to is get them to mainstream their sound, and that's what happened.

This is your long-winded way of saying "oh, it's just a label". Whatever, dude. Punk had an ethos of nihilism and DIY and anything post-punk generally does not, including New Wave. New Wave was a reaction to the nihilism of punk. They are quite distinct. To say that they were the same thing and just labels created by the music industry is just completely and utterly erroneous.

Depeche Mode and New Order? Proto-Goth.

Horseshit.

You're lumping them together.

You weren't at the shows, you weren't part of the scene, you weren't on the staff of one of the most influential (legal) university stations at the time. Your source of knowledge is your friend who got scolded for playing a Ramones tune. Not a solid basis of knowledge.

You really don't belong discussing this if you can't distinguish between them. They are quite different and you know that but you're just trying to get a reaction, so I will stop. It's not worth my time discussing it further and it really doesn't belong in the loggings section anyway.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns