We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID rhythmic data pulses, poss. Jammer; 11930 khz, 0554z, 6/8/2013  (Read 1935 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Tuned through the 25 meter band, heard the data pulses again, on top of a carrier.

This time they were on 11930 khz, and I could just barely hear some audio way in back of them, sounded like a woman, and the pace and tone was non-English, poss. Asian -- but because the audio was unreadable, I'm just making a complete guess here, from the tones of the voice. 

I'm wondering if this isn't some sort of jammer.

Were still on the frequency during recheck at 0641z, audio was a tiny bit stronger behind the pulses, still unreadable.

Looking at the SW schedules, nothing is usually scheduled here in this time slot that would be jammable. The only thing I can find scheduled is R. Belarus.

The data pulses didn't really sound like LINK-11, as I noted in my previous post on this sound.  Unless there's an 'idle' LINK sound, like when RTTY is sort of idling, it just puts out blips....  but I don't know enough about sounds to venture a guess.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Hi Boombox, I think you heard a Cuban jammer against Radio Marti (as per Aoki). Radio Marti is on 11930 from 14:00 to 24:00 utc

here is the current Aoki listing

http://www1.m2.mediacat.ne.jp/binews/use/bia13.txt

I use ctrl F and then enter the frequency for easy looking up of freqs.

BTW, Just because the offending station is not on air doesn't mean the Cuban jammer won't be there. They have been known recently to jam frequencies that Radio Marti used last year. At least the Chinese Jammers check at the top of the hour to see if the offending station is still on air.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 0319 UTC by glimmer twin »
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Many thanks for the info, Glimmer Twin, it sounded like jamming this time. Maybe the mystery is now solved.

I wasn't aware of Cuba's jamming techniques.... that's good to know.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns