We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dasher network, multiple frequencies, June 16, 2013, from 0235 UTC on  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
All,

I think this is a related network to what jFarley and I were talking about earlier, probably the same network in fact, but acting a bit different.

Currently there is a network of multiple frequencies carrying dashes 1.5 seconds long and sent every 10.5 seconds.  I first noticed this network about 0235 UTC, June 16, 2013.  Since that time it has changed frequencies three times.

First set, 0235 to 0252 UTC:

Second set, 0254 to 0342 UTC:

Third set, 0343 to 0430

Fourth set, starting 0430 until now (0510 UTC):

The frequencies appear to be transmitting sequentially, one after the other.  I believe there is more than one network involved.

If you do the math a 1.5 sec pulse in 10.5 seconds means a maximum of 7 time slots, or frequencies.  But n the third and forth set of freqs there are more than 7 frequencies.  And yes, in each set I could find two frequencies that were coincident in time.  And also I found some time slots not filled, indicating I probably missed some frequencies.

I have seen this 1.5 sec dash in a 10.5 second cycle in the past, but never got to watch it for so long.  Judging by propagation on several frequencies and on beam headings there are at least two sources out there, and it appears as if each source might, maybe, be on a different frequency set in this mode.

T!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 0524 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
At 0522Z, I'm hearing:
4450 Moderately strong
6650 Moderately strong
7700 Weak
9050 Strong
10575 Very weak
13250 Weak
15625 Very weak
16000 Local strong QRM

0527Z:
Tuned to 9050 and its not there anymore. Checked the other frequencies in the fourth set and its no longer on those.

Now hearing it on:
0030Z 4900 Very strong
0034Z 6725 Very strong (although, at 0033Z it was very weak)
0030Z 8825 Strong
0031Z 10050 Weak
0032Z 11150 Very weak
0032Z 18025 Nothing heard

Yaesu FT-847 with 100' wire
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 0534 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Yes, at 0526 and some change, just before 0527 UTC, the 4th set went down.  At 0527 the 5th set came up, either a repeat of the third set or a simialr set of freqs.

Set 5, 0527 to now (0543 UTC) I have:

Based on timing gaps I suspect I have missed some.  If there are two networks and they are completely full I would say there are 4 more frequencies to be found.

Or, assuming all of the previously used freqs in this set are in use but propagation is not supporting them that would add 9225 and 18025 to the list, leaving 2 unknown.

T!

(edit) all dashers down 0549 UTC, looking to see if they switched freqs

(edit 2) yep, back up on set 4 or part of set 4
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 0615 UTC by Token »
T!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
0550 to 0636 UTC set 5 freqs went down and set 6 freqs came up.  Some repeats of set 4 freqs, but not all.

At this time (0640 UTC) it does not appear to have come back up.  And with that I am out for the evening.

T!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 0641 UTC by Token »
T!

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
This thing is interesting.

The listed freqs are consistently in the FCC's fixed/mobile or aeronautical mobile bands. (But, that means little for anyone outside of the U.S., researchers, military, spies, clandestine, and just about everyone else.)

Minneapolis, MN

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
T;

As skeezix said, this is very interesting, and having heard it only a couple of times there is still a lot to learn to aid in searches the next time it comes around.  I was wondering if you knew:  From your images in the HF Beacons post, it appears as if the freq sequence is positive going; the frequency seems to increase with the "slot number".  Is this generally true?

Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
jFarley,

For the short pulse ditter, as in the thread you started and I responded to, the answer is yes, the transmission sequence appears to go from low to high frequency.  In addition to what I posted ChrisSmol showed images of this network doing this last year.  ( http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=1155 as well as posting here)

For the long pulse I am less sure, but it does appear to be doing the same thing, low to high frequency sequence.  The issue on the long pulse is that I am almost positive I was hearing multiple networks, at least 2 of them on different frequency sets, and while they appeared to both be sequencing upwards it was hard to separate which frequencies, and time slots, belonged to which sets.

A lot of speculation below, trying to put together the picture in my head, based on several peoples past reports as well as my own observations:

I strongly believe, am sure in my own mind without a lot of proof other than common frequencies, that the short pulse ditters and the long pulse dashers are part of the same networks.  If that is true then we have at least three pulse widths possible in this network; about 62 msec, about 125 msec, and about 1.5 seconds.  I seem to remember having seen another width, also, maybe about 90 msec, I will have to look closer at my old recordings of similar signals.  Also, we seem to have three (or more) pulse repetition intervals; 3.0 sec, 6.0 sec, and 10.5 sec.  Sometimes we appear to have multiple networks (I think only 2) on one set of frequencies, and at other times they appear to be on separate sets of frequencies.

Assuming only one transmitter/frequency on the air at any given time (unproven), and assuming no overlap of pulses, then using the pulse width and pulse repetition interval we can calculate the maximum number of time slots in a network.  For example the 1.5 sec / 10.5 sec version could have 7 time slots, and I have seen each of those 7 time slots filled with one empty (assumed I missed a freq).  A 0.125 sec / 3.0 sec version (what I believe we might have seen in yesterdays 6 second version, two interleaved networks of 3 seconds) we would have room for 24 time slots.  Or if only one network of 0.125 sec / 6.0 sec then it would be room for 48 time slots.  And in a 0.0625 sec / 3.0 sec version we would have room for 48 time slots, unless it was 2 interleaved networks also, and then it would be two times 24 time slots.

Whatever it is appears to operate infrequently, often with months between noticed operations.  It could be that people just miss it, or maybe it really does operate only in short burst with months between them.

This signal (assuming they are all related) is almost never reported outside the US.

A general bearing from my location (Mojave Desert, California) is East.  A general bearing from a listener in the US north east was SW to S.  As I suspect two sources I have no idea if my bearing and the other bearing are to the same source.  Using remotes I have noticed if seems to be strongest on central USA remotes, like CO and MN, and this would generally support the bearings.

One other thing that I feel might be related to this network, but have absolutely no evidence to support.  Some of the chirpsounders that sweep the HF band hit a few isolated frequencies with a pre-beep (just before the chirpsounder sweeps past a cw pip is sent).  This pre-beep is about 62 msec long, about the same length as has been seen by this ditter network before.  I do not have a complete list of frequencies that the chirpsounder  pre-beeps, but I know some of them do it on 6750, 9050 and 15625 kHz, freqs that keep showing up on these ditter/dasher networks.

T!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 1522 UTC by Token »
T!

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
I searched this morning on most the known frequencies listed here (not the ones < 6000 MHz) and heard nothing. Had the SDR wide and watching several freqs at a time, but never saw anything.
Minneapolis, MN

07code04stalker1776

So Token are you thinking that these Dashers might be some kind of propagation measuring tool like a beacon? Sounds like a cheep and easy way to measure propagation. Sounds scientific. I wonder if this could be done by HAARP or some one similar? I don't know of any research places in the area that you were pointing at. Good theory T. 

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
So Token are you thinking that these Dashers might be some kind of propagation measuring tool like a beacon? Sounds like a cheep and easy way to measure propagation. Sounds scientific. I wonder if this could be done by HAARP or some one similar? I don't know of any research places in the area that you were pointing at. Good theory T. 

If this is not just some period maintenance based test signal for some kind of network then yes, it could be propagation stuff.  I personally think, because of the infrequent nature of the transmissions, that they are more likely maintenance related.  Because of the repeated use of at least three of the known chirpsounder pre-beep frequencies, and the fact the chirpsounder pre-beep is about the same length as the very first of these ditters seen, I have to think there is a possibility of some relationship.

This is not going to be HAARP, the direction and propagation does not support this signal coming out of Alaska.

And yes, there are MANY possible sources in the direction I suspect this signal of coming from.  You could start with various University of Colorado sources (already a heavy player in the ionospheric research arena), and then off to Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

T!
T!

cmradio

This is not going to be HAARP, the direction and propagation does not support this signal coming out of Alaska.

Agreed.

HAARP blasts in here to my QTH while I have never heard a peep of this ditter network.

Can it even be received west of the Rockies N. of 49? ???

Peace!