We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Odd happenings on 7180 khz; 0321 UTC, 6/17/13  (Read 4616 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Odd happenings on 7180 khz; 0321 UTC, 6/17/13
« on: June 20, 2013, 1019 UTC »
Usually I don't hear much CB-like activity on the 40 meter ham band.  Generally, that sort of activity seems to be left to the 11 meter spectrum, and maybe one frequency on 20 meters that's famous for guys playing music, swearing, etc.  Aside from the Indonesian pirate chanters, and a few stray signals like the Russian single letter beacons, 40 meters generally seems pretty 'normal'.

Well, this last Sunday I tuned into some loud music in USB on 7180 khz.  After clarifying it, it turned out to be Motley Crue's "Ten Seconds Of Love", which was followed by a lot of angry exchanges and cussing by several different operators (including a guy who gave out his call letters).  Soon afterwards, Van Halen's "Little Dreamer" was played.  Then some dead air, then the music player made some random comments about a Magnum CB radio, Arizona, a mention of Father's Day, and "you're all gonna die." 

Then "I'll Wait" by Van Halen was played, followed by some more angry exchanges, including a ham telling the music DJ that he was ruining ham radio for everybody else, and he used to beat up "punks" like that in high school.

Then some rap song about someone called the "Prime Minister" -- for a rap song, it wasn't half bad, production wise.  About a CB outlaw with a water cooled linear or something.  When that was done, there was just dead air.

Maybe this sort of thing goes on on the 40 meter band and I just haven't encountered it before. 

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

cmradio

Re: Odd happenings on 7180 khz; 0321 UTC, 6/17/13
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 1326 UTC »
Usually I don't hear much CB-like activity on the 40 meter ham band.

Oh good grief! Don't get on 80M much on the weekend, eh? :D

Maybe it's the same guy who got routed to 40? ???

Peace!

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 1547 UTC »
Sounds just like the upper end of 80 meters, around 3870. Yesterday heard a group of idiots on 7200 in an argument about who owned the frequency, evidently someone was on there first then someone else decided they wanted on, and I'm just laughing at them the whole time.
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 1749 UTC »
There is a ham net who gets on 40 meter upper sideband near that frequency, although normally a little higher than 7180 kHz, up around 7230 is their normal stomping grounds.  They use upper sideband instead of lower sideband because they run a lot of ex-military, merchant marine, and aviation radios, and many of those do not support LSB operations.  There are also other less structured users of USB on 40 meters, again quite commonly using ex-mil radios.

For readers who are not aware, by convention ham radio voice is LSB on 40 meters, but there is no rule that says you must use LSB, the use of USB is absolutely legal, just uncommon.  And that sometimes leads to a problem.  This net is regularly jammed and messed with by a few other hams who are mad at them for using USB on “an LSB band”.  I would suspect that you have stumbled on someone, or several someone’s, attempting to jam one such net.  Then again, it just could have been some idiot with a radio causing general hate and discontent.

There are also a lot of unlicensed South American truckers in the 40 meter range, but most of them use LSB and most of them are below 7100 kHz.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 0337 UTC »
Cmradio: Yeah, I don't check out 80 meters too often.

When I do, it's usually a handful of QSOs, mostly from California or other parts of the West Coast.  I hardly ever check it out on weekends.  I remember a long, long time ago I heard a guy giving the older hams a lot of grief, but generally whenever I've tuned across the SSB section of that band it's just ragchewing I hear.

The only time I got into monitoring 80 meters was in winter of 2002-2003.  At that time there would be a few California hams working Europe on long path early in the morning on 3790 khz., which at the time was a DX window.

That rap song I heard -- I guess it's somewhat famous.  I wasn't aware of that.  Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Bump It Down".  Never heard it before.

I guess this all goes to show you that you learn something new every day.  :)
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 1251 UTC »
Cmradio: Yeah, I don't check out 80 meters too often.

When I do, it's usually a handful of QSOs, mostly from California or other parts of the West Coast.  I hardly ever check it out on weekends.  I remember a long, long time ago I heard a guy giving the older hams a lot of grief, but generally whenever I've tuned across the SSB section of that band it's just ragchewing I hear.

There's a notorius drunk that floats about and an "android" of a dude who thumps the rule book like the Bible. One time they met and it was six hours of who was gonna have the coronary first...  :D

We west coasters like the low bands because many of us are too close to the mountains to hear pretty much anything above 49M unless it travels NVIS :-\

Peace!

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 0359 UTC »
I had to laugh. 80 meter can be a real zoo at time. I sometimes listen into "Ragchews" and brother... nothing changes in YEARS. At time there seems to be a "pecking order" of OP with some of the loudest (and at times the most ignorant) going after others that don't see things their way.

The only thing that's missing is the plumes of cigar smoke and the clanking of beer glases. I always enjoys the ragchews where some have had one too many "Barley Pops", discussion gets lively and the key-ups with sound effects begin. Of course, that would never happen on the Pirate bands :D
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 1751 UTC »
Who was the ham that used to produce and air shows around 3880 khz.? He was the most hated man in ham radio for awhile. Even the print mags complained about him.

I haven't heard him in 6 or 7 years. I hope he's doing ok? Other than Timtron and his buds going off on a shaggy dog stories about finding "serious modulatin' arn" for nothing or some such other subject,that guy was the only thing worth tuning for on 80 meters.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 1248 UTC »
Who was the ham that used to produce and air shows around 3880 khz.? He was the most hated man in ham radio for awhile. Even the print mags complained about him.

I haven't heard him in 6 or 7 years. I hope he's doing ok? Other than Timtron and his buds going off on a shaggy dog stories about finding "serious modulatin' arn" for nothing or some such other subject,that guy was the only thing worth tuning for on 80 meters.

Are you talking about K1MAN, Glenn Baxter?

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline bodr1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 1316 UTC »
Bump it Down is a song by "Prime Minister" better known as Sir Mix Alot.... guess thats his "handle" on channel 6!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 1331 UTC by bodr1 »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns