We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WSEY 95.7 heard in Wisconsin  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
WSEY 95.7 heard in Wisconsin
« on: July 05, 2013, 0643 UTC »
SW and MW DX was pretty marginal tonight, so I tried FM on a whim.  Am I ever glad I did!  What did I discover on 95.7?  WSEY out of Oregon, Illinois, which is the *Saint Louis* market!  Rockford is a breeze to snag, Chicagoland can happen, but this?  Is new.  You'd better believe they'll be getting an e-mail from me! :)  What's more, reception was good - not quite at local levels, but perfectly readable all the same, so long as I kept the antenna swiveled the right way.  Cardinals-Angels baseball call; I caught the last inning and a half or so.  The Angels came from behind to win in the 9th, if you're interested.  Got a Kool FM ID, if not a proper station ID, shortly after the hour (isn't that the law in the States?  What the?)  That, the Cardinals game and the Saint Louis area adverts were enough to confirm what I was hearing, I looked it up, and boom.  

I haven't had FM DX like that in a few years!  

Edited to add: Holy tropo!  I've had Chicagoland stations popping up all along the FM dial all night.  Try this, all heard between 9 and 11Z: 

92.5, Dance Factory Radio, Chicago, weak fair (I like this one!) 
94.7 WLS, Chicago, oldies, fair to good, splatter/distortion from a local 
95.1, WIIL Will Rock, Kenosha, WI, hard rock, good 
95.3, WRTB Bob FM, Winnebago, IL, fair 
95.5, WNUA El Patron, Chicago, Spanish-language, fair 
96.5 ? weak but present beside a local 
96.9, WDDV the Drive, Zion, IL, rock, clear as a local 
103.5, WKSC Kiss FM, Chicago, top 40, fair at best 
104.7 Spanish-language, fair, Milwaukee? 
106.7 WPPN Pasion, Chicago, Spanish-language, fair, mixing with a local 

I'm surprised I didn't get any Chicago Public Radio stations in there.  Maybe I just wasn't tuned to the right frequency at the right time.  I did have a couple classical-ish stations on 98.7 and 98.9, but I never got any talk, let alone IDs from them, so I can't be sure they weren't just VCY America affiliates out of Milwaukee and elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 1951 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: WSEY 95.7 heard in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 2136 UTC »
What are you using for an antenna?
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: WSEY 95.7 heard in Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 0119 UTC »
At that point, I was just using the external whip antenna built into the DX-398.  I didn't have the loop with me when I was out and about with the radio, and didn't bother when I got all the later tropo reception.  Said whip has some wobbly connection issues; I think a screw fell out.  Must fix that. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns