We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UVB-76 offline  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Syco

• View Profile
    • Email
UVB-76 offline
« on: July 11, 2013, 1243 UTC »
Just to let you know, UVB-76 was offline on the 9 of June 2013 and came back online on the 10th. I have no idea how long it was offline for but when I logged on on the 9th it wasnt there and when I logged on on the 10th it was there.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: S28 offline
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 1301 UTC »
Just to let you know, UVB-76 was offline on the 9 of June 2013 and came back online on the 10th. I have no idea how long it was offline for but when I logged on on the 9th it wasnt there and when I logged on on the 10th it was there.

It may have been due to propagation rather then it being offline. I heard it on both days and it was very loud and clear except during the times it would have been affected by condx.
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: UVB-76 offline
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 1302 UTC »
How do you know it was offline?  By this I mean how were you monitoring it?  If via remote which remote was it?  If local radio what was the location of the radio?  Did you try a second source to confirm it was off air?

Many people make the mistake of monitoring via a remote and when they do not hear the station they assume it is offline.  Most often the remote is offline or the audio is lagged out.  If you are not directly monitoring a station, if you are using a remote, particularly one without a visual indication of signal (such as a waterfall), and an anticipated signal is NOT present, you should always confirm with a second source.  If you are directly monitoring, using a local radio, then a remote can often confirm if the station is missing due to lack of signal or if it is really just conditions.

Unless you can confirm the reason for lack of signal an offline UVB (or any signal) does not mean it is actually offline, it might just mean whatever you are using to receive is not hearing it.

UVB-76 is reported off line many, many times a year.  Almost all such reports are incorrect, and in reality only the source the listener was using was off line or not working correctly.  Of course, this station does go off air from time to time, probably once a month or so on average.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Syco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 1314 UTC »
I made sure it was offline by checking multiple servers to see if I could find it, which I couldn't. I also used this: http://www.justin.tv/uvb76repeater?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=uvb-76.net#/w/6052195632/137 to see if it was offline, which it was. This is a 24/7 stream of UVB-76. Where this stream is being broadcasted im not sure but every time ive gone there it is always recieving the signal. I could have been (and most probably was) wrong but I thought that this was strange and thought I shoudl report it. I use SDR Radio client v1.5 by the way, also your station Token is quite good I get some good signals sometimes.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 1323 UTC »
Using multiple receivers doesn't mean you are right, Syco. Propagation fro the buzzer station to the receivers was poor - hence why you would think it was offline.

What happened was that the remotes you were using were incapable of hearing it due to conditions

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Syco

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 1329 UTC »
Oh ok. Lol I thought I actually thought I came across UVB-76 when it was offline. Thanks for all the answers guys, will make sure not to make this mistake again :)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 1823 UTC »
I made sure it was offline by checking multiple servers to see if I could find it, which I couldn't. I also used this: http://www.justin.tv/uvb76repeater?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=uvb-76.net#/w/6052195632/137 to see if it was offline, which it was. This is a 24/7 stream of UVB-76. Where this stream is being broadcasted im not sure but every time ive gone there it is always recieving the signal. I could have been (and most probably was) wrong but I thought that this was strange and thought I shoudl report it. I use SDR Radio client v1.5 by the way, also your station Token is quite good I get some good signals sometimes.

That stream (justin.tv) goes offline fairly frequently, and leads to a lot of people thinking the Buzzer is down when it might not be.    Don’t get me wrong, it is good most of the time, and a good resource to have, but it seems that when it does go down people always catch it and think the Buzzer is down.  When that stream has failed in the past that it has generated lots of traffic into the #wunclub and #priyom IRC channels with statements of “the UVB-76 is off air!”  MOST of the time (but not always, because the Buzzer does sometimes go off air) this is incorrect.

The other servers/remotes you tried could be misleading you, or maybe not.  They may or may not have had conditions to hear the Buzzer.  It would help to know what time (UTC) this was (that the signal was gone), and what specific servers / remotes you tried.  With that data a stronger evaluation of the probability of no errors could be made.  Quite possibly you are 100% correct and I am doing you a disservice by even mentioning the possibility that you might, possibly, have miss interpreted what you saw, but the “gallop pole” of past history for this station and these streams would vote against it.  If so many other people had not been wrong in the past then no one would even be mentioning the possibility.

Since this is only your 3rd post to these forums I have no idea of your familiarity with propagation conditions.  Obviously if you are familiar with propagation then you are undoubtedly correct in your assessment.  However, if you are relatively new to the hobby you might not yet have grasped all of the nuances of the sometimes perplexing area of propagation.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 1848 UTC »

That stream (justin.tv) goes offline fairly frequently, and leads to a lot of people thinking the Buzzer is down when it might not be.    Don’t get me wrong, it is good most of the time, and a good resource to have, but it seems that when it does go down people always catch it and think the Buzzer is down.  When that stream has failed in the past that it has generated lots of traffic into the #wunclub and #priyom IRC channels with statements of “the UVB-76 is off air!”  MOST of the time (but not always, because the Buzzer does sometimes go off air) this is incorrect.

The other servers/remotes you tried could be misleading you, or maybe not.  They may or may not have had conditions to hear the Buzzer.  It would help to know what time (UTC) this was (that the signal was gone), and what specific servers / remotes you tried.  With that data a stronger evaluation of the probability of no errors could be made.  Quite possibly you are 100% correct and I am doing you a disservice by even mentioning the possibility that you might, possibly, have miss interpreted what you saw, but the “gallop pole” of past history for this station and these streams would vote against it.  If so many other people had not been wrong in the past then no one would even be mentioning the possibility.

Since this is only your 3rd post to these forums I have no idea of your familiarity with propagation conditions.  Obviously if you are familiar with propagation then you are undoubtedly correct in your assessment.  However, if you are relatively new to the hobby you might not yet have grasped all of the nuances of the sometimes perplexing area of propagation.

T!

Mr Echo agrees with Mr Token's conclusions. If times could be provided for us to check, it would be easy for us to narrow it down.

Don't be downhearted, Syco - the best of us makes mistakes, and we all have to learn from mistakes.

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 1647 UTC »
This may be a dumb question: Is the repeater at the justin.tv/uvb76repeater link supposed to have any sound? If yes, I hear nothing, only see the "waterfall" graphic. . .  ???

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 1730 UTC »
This may be a dumb question: Is the repeater at the justin.tv/uvb76repeater link supposed to have any sound? If yes, I hear nothing, only see the "waterfall" graphic. . .  ???

It is supposed to have sound, but there is none - can't recall any at all

reportecho1@gmail.com