We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Lazy H Antenna  (Read 10748 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Lazy H Antenna
« on: July 19, 2013, 1859 UTC »
Has anyone here tried a Lazy H antenna?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Lazy H Antenna
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 1543 UTC »
No, but I think there was a mention of it in a book I have on cubical Quads (I think it's a book by Bill Orr?), I think they may be related somehow.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 1600 UTC »
IIRC Joe Carr's Receiving Antennas book had a section on the Lazy H, but I've never built one myself.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 2035 UTC »
Doing some further research and modeling, they're looking less and less impressive.

My goal is to put something up for fall/winter for the 48 meter band for Europirates. The big sky loop works well, but I'd like something with some gain toward Europe.  I'm also looking at just putting a dipole (folded, for lower noise) up as high as I can, or possibly a smaller T2FD. From models, it really seems like you need to get up to about 80 ft to get good low angle radiation on 48 meters, and I don't know that I have any trees that tall. 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 2109 UTC »
Do you have the height for a 1/4 vertical? They're not directional, but I've found that they tend to grab weak signals much better than a dipole.

I used one for the 60 meter broadcast band for years. It gave me audible signals earlier in the day than any antenna I tried there. My other antennas would be picking up up hets or zilch at the same time.

If you don't have the height for a vertical, a Beverage on the ground may do the trick if you've got the land oriented towards Western Europe to do it.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 1754 UTC »
Yes, I could certainly hang a 1/4 wave vertical for the 48 mb. I had shied away from vertical due to their reputation for picking up man made noise. Did yours have any problems in that area?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 0024 UTC »
Not a bit, but it might be my location? I'm on a hill.

There was a guy south of me who used, (I think?) an 80 meter vertical for dx'ing Europirates. His results were great. It was extremely well grounded as he used for ham work,too. Mine was just clamped to the spigot next to the house. It outperformed a double zepp I'd set up for the same purpose the year before. The zepp was actually the nosier of the two antennas.

Two, when the neighborhood Blue Hair Brigade starts acting up, the vertical can be pulled up for listening and lowered afterwards. Two minutes it's up, five seconds it's down.

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 0219 UTC »
Pigmeat   you and Fansome both have "BLUE HAIR"
                           ;) ;)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 2327 UTC »
Hah! That's what you think. I have no hair above the ears. Plenty in my ears,but none above. And it's mauve thank you very much.

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 2331 UTC »
Hah! That's what you think. I have no hair above the ears. Plenty in my ears,but none above. And it's mauve thank you very much.

thats basically PINK   did you dye yur hair for AL again

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 2332 UTC »

*I* did, but not on my head
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 0215 UTC »

It is? I didn't know that. I thought mauve was the color of Bea Arthur's public hair back when she was above ground? (I don't want to imagine her pubic hair.)

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 0221 UTC »
(I don't want to imagine her pubic hair.)

I would
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 2146 UTC »
Have you considered a two element wire beam?  Dipole with a director -- aim it towards Europe.

That might be worth a try. 

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 2206 UTC »
Have you considered a two element wire beam?  Dipole with a director -- aim it towards Europe.

That might be worth a try. 

Yes, I have considered that. I need to check out the tree situation, to see if I have them in the right locations to make it work. I won't be able to get the wires up high enough for good low angle radiation, but I can't do that anyway, so getting some gain toward Europe would certainly help.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD