We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dog walk log 3:00 UTC 23 July 1013  (Read 2040 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Dog walk log 3:00 UTC 23 July 1013
« on: July 23, 2013, 1945 UTC »
I have finally settled on 3:00z as the best time for my dx dog walks. Not only is it cooler then but there are quite a few English language broadcasts at that time. Last nights log:

3:00 UTC listening with ATS909x with built in whip antenna.

7350 khz   Radio Romania w/ news into music program. fair to poor. //9645
9515 khz   Voice of Turkey  TOH news. Good reception
9665 khz   Voice of Russia good signal but annoying het from Voz Missionarias. Het can be avoided in USB or by tuning high.
15515 khz  Radio Australia  news & talk with very good signal. This frequency starts English at 3:15z //15160 fair/poor   //15240 fair/good  //15415 very weak

3:30 UTC

13650 khz  Iran 'Voice of Justice' English program. Fair reception, much better on // 15470.

Also heard this guy working lots of US stations    http://www.qrz.com/db/LZ1QI.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 0602 UTC by glimmer twin »
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline K5MOW

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dog walk log 3:00 UTC 23 July 1013
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 1839 UTC »
Very cool!!!!!!

Roger

Offline Tim537

• Wainscott, New York, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 2229 UTC »
As I have three Labradors I might try this novel approach to the hobby! Good DX. What portable RX were you using?

Tim

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 0301 UTC »
Howdy Tim, i have several portables that I bought expressly for my DX dog walking. This log was done with a Sangean ATS 909x. I really love this radio. I also sometimes use a Tecsun PL380 or a Tecsun PL360 but they don't come close to the ATS909x. I had been walking China in the mornings but found the DX to be better at 10:00pm local time (3:00 utc). In addition to these stations Voice of Vietnam is on 6175 at 3:30 utc via one of those US religion stations.
see this AM dog walk log
http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,11490.0.html

If I find other interesting things on the bands I will do another DX dog posting.

regards & best 73
Glimmer

4:00 utc:  Having just returned from a DX walk, I feel compelled to mention that the Tecsun PL380 is actually much better than I remember. When I first got it about 6 months ago i used it for a week or so as my only dog walk radio & didn't really care for it that much. I used it again tonight  & I now feel differently. I also should mention that what I DON'T know about radios & how they work could fill volumes. Having admitted that (it's always been my shameful secret. That & the fact that I can't copy CW), I was pleasantly surprised at how well this baby performed. My complaints are that the keys act funny, you have to press them really hard to get the desired result & it doesnt have up & down "slew" buttons. Also it doesn't have SSB. The bandwidth capabilities are pretty cool though. You can narrow it down to 1 khz & open it up to 6 khz. I love the DSP thing too. I am not at all sure how this works but as you tune slowly it sounds like a BFO in that you can hear a slight het as you approach an active frequency. It seems to act like a synchronous detector in this respect. It picked up all of my regular stations as well & usually better than the ATS909x. I was able to get "armchair copy" from Radio Romania & Voice of Turkey. Iran came in much better than normal too. One thing I love is that I can hold the radio easily in one hand. This is real important to me since I have my other hand full of a barely controlled dog. I actually was able to lay the extended antenna against the radio & put the whole thing in my pocket. With the ATS I have to hold the antenna in a sloping position for the best reception & it is way to big to even consider putting it in my pocket. The light can be kept on by holding the button on for a few seconds. That is very handy for me as I am walking in the dark & try to avoid the street lights. When I did walk right under  light there was very little signal degradation on the PL380.   All in all a nice little portable for about $50.00.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 0511 UTC by glimmer twin »
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns