We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: As police crack down on pirate radio, broadcasters resist the move online  (Read 7518 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
New York is pirate radio central. There are dozens if not hundreds of illegal radio stations operating without a government license in the state. They’re especially easy to find in New York City, where licensed stations often complain that bootleggers are hijacking their frequencies.

Twist the dial in Brooklyn and you’ll hear reggae, dance hall, and the news from St. Thomas coming in over the airwaves, broken up by commercials for barbeque at Frankie’s. Occasionally, you’ll pick up a signal on your cell phone and hear DJs bantering faintly in Spanish or Yiddish in the background.

But lately in Brooklyn, the underground airwaves have been much quieter than usual. Earlier this month, The Fire Station 104.7, a prominent Caribbean pirate radio station, was shut down after its owners inadvertently sold a $500 ad to undercover police. The police arrested Solomon Malka, the owner, and DJ Fresh Kid, whose real name is Seon Bruce. The pair face up to a year in jail.

In the past, getting busted meant pirate station owners merely had to pay a fine. Frequently, the same station would pop right back up again, which is partly why New York has more Federal Communications Commission enforcement actions than any other state. But in 2011, New York passed a law that made unlicensed broadcasting a class A misdemeanor.

Full article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/23/4548878/pirate-radio-dies-hard-in-brooklyn-and-the-bronx
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 1458 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Dash Bronzehand

• Melbourne, Australia.
  • I WILL SQUELCH YOU.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dont these idiots have anything better to do, and Chris i really apologise for the langauge, but it seems as thought any form of free media that is unregulated is now comparable to murder in the eyes of the law. TYRANNY ISNT COMING, ITS HERE !!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 1724 UTC by Dash Bronzehand »

cmradio

^--- Agreed ---^

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
TYRANNY ISNT COMING, ITS HERE !!!

+1

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
C'mon guys. Hell if I'm not mistaken, it's a illegal to use a 2 or 3 gallon pre-ban assault toilet over a 1.5 gallon in your home. This surprises you?
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
C'mon guys. Hell if I'm not mistaken, it's a illegal to use a 2 or 3 gallon pre-ban assault toilet over a 1.5 gallon in your home. This surprises you?

Assault toilet?
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile

They'll get my 5 gallon thrones when they pry 'em from my cold dead ass.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile

The high capacity tank ban is a local or regional thing.  I have heard of localities with bans on full automatic thrones, on the basis that there is no “normal” need for a full auto system and that the wasted water of unwanted flushes can never be recovered.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Tim537

• Wainscott, New York, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hmm. Pirate toilets. Whatever next? :D

Tim

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
There's a local guy who salvages materials from old houses and resells them. Those old toilets go as soon as he gets them cleaned up.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
This may be an American thing, but WHAT are assault toilets?
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
This may be an American thing, but WHAT are assault toilets?

I am mystified, also; I wonder if you need a Concealed Carry Permit for them?
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Is this really regional? Sounds like it's a national thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-flush_toilet

Maybe some building inspectors will ignore this but I gotta imagine the supply chain is heavily weighted towards the low flush thing so it's probably tough to get a water bomber unless it's vintage, like someone else here was saying.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Beerus, I was being tongue in cheek about it, and going with the whole "assault toilet" (assault weapon) theme.

Yes, low flow is the Federal standard (since the mid 90's), and anyplace you require a permit to change a toilet out you must use a low flow.  However here I do not require a permit to replace a toilet, and I can use whatever size I want.  To that end I can still, locally, buy a 3+ gallon toilet, and I can still install that toilet.  The toilets in the house are all low flow, but the one in the garage is a high capacity model, and I just replaced it 5 or 6 years ago.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
be like a bear s#!t in the woods   or use a outhouse  when the hole is filled in in about 5 years it,s broken down into very fertile soil  for you city folks just go to wally world  their stores are a big toilet nowadays anyway

maybe those fm pirates are trying to reach the poor masses that don't have internet

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns