We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Station "Mainsail" Issuing EAMs on HF GCS  (Read 2631 times)

07code04stalker1776

Station "Mainsail" Issuing EAMs on HF GCS
« on: July 24, 2013, 2142 UTC »
Station "Mainsail" Issuing EAMs on HF GCS. It most definitely is "Mainsail". I tuned in and first copied an aircraft hailing "mainsail" and sure enough for the first time I can think of "Mainsail" answered back lol and is giving EAMs. Am I dreaming lol?

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Station "Mainsail" Issuing EAMs on HF GCS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 0246 UTC »
Mainsail is a genaric callsign for a group of ground stations in the network.  The call of Mainsail by the airborne unit is just asking for any of the stations to answer.  Any of the ground stations can answer Mainsail and can issue a call as Mainsail.  It is normal, however, the responding station will answer the Mainsail call with its own callsign, such as Andrews, Offutt, Comms West, etc.

T!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 0252 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 1606 UTC »
Yes, I saw the thread over there also.  This response by ground stations, as Mainsail, is unusual but not unheard of.  It used to be more common than it has been in recent years, possibly they are returning to that status.

As I said, Mainsail is the collective callsign for ground stations in the network, any ground station in the group can respond to or as Mainsail.  I suppose that the TACAMO aircraft could respond to or as Mainsail also, but I have never knowingly heard that.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

07code04stalker1776

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 1811 UTC »
I am wondering if this is going to be a permanent thing? Pretty cool and exciting to hear something different ;D. That is a very good theory about TACAMO.