We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Kite antennas  (Read 5385 times)

Fansome

Kite antennas
« on: July 04, 2013, 0034 UTC »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Kite antennas
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 0803 UTC »
Didn't you and Marconi use one for your (supposed) first trans-Atlantic broadcast, using a spark gap transmitter powered by a cat and carpet static generator?

I understand there were bald cats running around Newfoundland for years after you two abandoned them. The locals named a Cape after the poor things.

Speaking seriously about such things,wires lofted by kites can build up impressive static charges. Enough send your average pirate to Davy Jones locker. Be careful.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 0818 UTC »
Fascinating reading.  I'll be pondering over this the next time I take my $3 Walgreen's delta kite down to the ocean to fly it.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 2306 UTC »
If anyone is planning serious heights, like 100' for more, be careful if using the kite to suspend a long bare wire conductor for a vertical antenna element. Wind can create serious static charging on tall verticals. Might want to put a resistor, crossover diodes, LED light, or similar device at the feedpoint to bleed off excessive static currents.

Some HF antenna enthusiasts have done verticals up to hundreds of feet tall with large kits or weather balloons. At some point, FAA regulations become a consideration (especially over land), so do your research before floating a wire 500' in the air. ;)
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

cmradio

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 2318 UTC »
I vaguely remember a magazine article where some VLF researchers in Antarctica were doing this. They were quite successful until a rogue gust sent the kite and antenna *kersnap* into neverland :o

Peace!

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 0126 UTC »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline herman munster

• View Profile
Re: Kite antennas static and GQRP SPRAT, QRP Quaterly
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 0854 UTC »
Hi, I hear the idea is to use an RF choke to ground to stop the build up of static electricy damaging the fron end of a rx.  A few ideas about Kite antennas are found in the GQRP Sprat newsletter, theres a CD Rom of about 140
Sprat newsletters, also info in the DVD rom of 30 years of QRP Quaterly.

ian.