We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Poll: Favorite albums  (Read 6146 times)

Offline LanceLovejoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Poll: Favorite albums
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 1608 UTC »
Great Lists, I share faves with:

Mentholyptus: Talking Heads: Fear of Music
PigMeat: Clash (Combat Rock), DeadMilkmen (Beelzabubba),
Lex : Breeders (Last Splash)

A Few I'd Add:

Beatles: White Album (Still the best of all time IMHO, Back in the USSR, WHile my Guitar, Rev 9, Warm Gun, Julia Sexy Sadie, Birthday....unbelievable range!)

Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (A Must for HF fans)
The Kinks: Word of Mouth
Guided By Voices: Under the Bushes Under the Stars
Neil Young: Ragged Glory
Steve Earl: Jerusalem
Eleventh Dream Day: Beet
Feelies: Only Life
Pixies: Doolittle
Son Volt:  : Trace
Nirvana: Nevermind and   In Utero
Screaming Trees: Sweet Oblivion
Replacements: Let It Be
George Harrison: All Things Must Pass
REM: Out of Time
XTC: Oranges ad Lemons
Richard Buckner: Our Blood
Icom R75-wellbrook 330s
St. Louis MO
lancelvj@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 1628 UTC »
Rolling Stones -- Exile on Main St.
Rolling Stones -- Beggars Banquet
Status Quo -- On The Level
Status Quo -- (self titled US black cover)
AC/DC -- High Voltage (US compilation)
AC/DC -- Dirty Deeds
U2 -- Boy
Rose Tattoo -- Assault & Battery
Rose Tattoo -- Scarred For Life
Free -- Heartbreaker
David Bowie -- Ziggy Stardust, Man Who Sold The World
T. Rex -- Electric Warrior
Beatles -- Revolver
Golden Earring -- Wall of Dolls, Moontan
Howlin' Wolf -- 2 CD collection
Soundgarden -- Superunknown
Soundgarden -- Badmotorfinger

A partial list, but pretty accurate.  The LP versions of albums listed were literally worn out. Most on the list have been all time favorites, other ones I listed here (Howlin' Wolf and the Free record being examples) I keep returning to, for some reason.  Led Zeppelin IV would have made the list because I really liked it at the time, and it was probably one of the best rock records made -- but it was massively overplayed on rock radio and the tunes are already ingrained in my head.  I put the LP or CD of that one on very rarely, and when I do, it's usually just the Battle of Evermore.

I'll also throw in another vote for Tangerine Dream's Phaedra, a very cool electronic music album.  Sounded very futuristic at the time.

And last but not least, I really liked the Army Of Anyone CD (Filter's singer with the musos from Stone Temple Pilots).  It's the last 'new music' CD I bought that I still play.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 0848 UTC »
It occurs to me that I omitted all of the vinyl I practically wore out years ago.  I've always been partial to live albums, warts and all, because they often do capture the feeling of being there.

Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!  Every track is a winner but "Midnight Rambler" in particular is amazingly good.  I only wish the Stones were as good when I've seen 'em, but their live shows range from spontaneous to sloppy.

Grateful Dead - Europe '72  Couldn't ask for a better taste of the Dead.  "Jack Straw" and "Morning Dew" are standout tracks.  I saw them live in 1973 and that was arguably their peak.  Topless hippie chicks, smoke everywhere, the perfect summer outdoor concert.

Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East  The quintessential Southern Rock & Blues album.  Sadly, by the time I saw the Allmans live, at the same '73 concert with the Dead, Duane Allman and Berry Oakley were gone.  The band seemed dispirited, and Dickie Betts, while a very good guitarist, really couldn't carry the band.  Still, it was a great memory and the band perked up when jamming with the Dead.

Jimi Hendrix - Hendrix in the West  Probably the best audio of any live Hendrix album.  I really liked Band of Gypsies as well - the best version of "Machine Gun" Hendrix recorded - but the audio is muddy.  Live at Monterey is damned good too.  Most other Hendrix live tracks, bootlegs, etc., are sloppy with terrible audio.

The Doors - Absolutely Live  Probably the first bit of vinyl I bought with my own money as a teenager, around '71 or so.

Claire Huangci - Live at Van Cliburn 2013 classical piano competition.  Alas, only part of her performances are available now.  It was streamed live and the video was maintained online for only a few weeks after the May 2013 competition.  Claire is a speed demon but with touch and taste in addition to technique and heart.  Her playful style is perfect for Schumann, Schubert and Mozart, but she handled Prokofiev beautifully and turned in the most amazing interpretation of "Birichino", a new piece by Christopher Theofanidis.  Birichino was a jazzy piece that sounded best when interpreted as a cross between Vince Guaraldi and art/noise rock.  It stumped most of the competitors but Claire nailed it.  Doesn't hurt either that she's as adorable as any anime character.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 0902 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 1651 UTC »
easy question!!

blonde on blonde
blood on the tracks
exile on main st.
astral weeks
on the beach

fpe
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 2047 UTC »
Lex, I meant to add Live At the Fillmore East, but I figured I'd posted enough albums.

I saw the Allmans in either '71 or '72. Duane was still alive when I saw them, but he hit that peach truck shortly afterwards. They invited the crowd up on stage for the encore. I've never seen anyone do that in a large venue since.

I still haven't forgiven Gregg Allman for giving up Dickie Betts to the law when Allman was under the influence of that she-beast, Cher. She replaced Jane Fonda as the most hated woman in the South over that one.

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 0201 UTC »
Also at the top of my list was the Allman Brother Live at the Fillmore.  Could never stop playing "Whipping Post" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"

Other faves:

Woodstock - live 2 album set
Who's Next - The Who
Iron Butterfly
SADE - live
Rory Gallaugher
Joe Satriani "Flying in the Blue Dream" album
Stevie Vai

Here's an Oddity--- group "Crystal Method" (title of album)  One song was played in movie "The Replacement Killers" with Chow Yung Fat and Mara Savino. It was a hard driving trance-like instrumental - Really had me hooked (no pun intended.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 1702 UTC by RCCI - Radio Comedy Club International »
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 2143 UTC »
Wow Redhat -great question, tough choice.  Hand me the sickle please...  I winnowed mine by tossing out compilations (sorry Ronnie Montrose!), albums where to my ears there's not a dog in the bunch, albums where the artist stretched a bit but it still worked musically, and albums that I still listen to at least once a year all the way through.  I still ended up with way too many... in no particular order:

John Hiatt-Slow Turning
The Who-Who's Next
Jethro Tull-Minstrel In The Gallery, Thick As A Brick
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers-Full Moon Fever
Kinks- Lola Vs Powerman and the Moneygoround (I love "Word Of Mouth" too, Lance!)
Steve Earle-Exit 0
Monster Magnet-Powertrip
Slade-Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply (US release)
Pure Prairie League-Bustin' Out
Big Sugar- Heated (US release)
Mojo Nixon-The Real Sock Ray Blue
Brian Setzer-Live Nude Guitars
Zappa -Joe's Garage, Overnite Sensation
Southern Culture On The Skids-Liquored Up and Laquered Down
Sass Jordan-Rats
King's X- Faith Hope Love
Eddie Money-No Control
Foghat-Energized
BTO-Head On

And I'm sure there are MANY more...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Porter

• USNG 16S GK 4832 0470
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 0136 UTC »
Not fair, but if I were headed to Gilligan's Island tonight and could only take the first ten recently played albums under one arm and a tube amp under the other...these would still be among my favorite.

Alan White - Ramshackled
David Gilmour
Ronnie Wood - Now Look
Patrick Moraz - Out In the Sun
Stomu Yamashta - Go Too
The Who - By Numbers
Tommy Bolin - Teaser
Spirit - The 12 Dreams
King Crimson - Thrak
Stanley Clarke - Journey to Love
Elecraft K2 ~ 70 feet of wire