We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Operators: consider 6925 alternatives.  (Read 6525 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Operators: consider 6925 alternatives.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 1613 UTC »
Years ago 6950 and 6955 were all the rage. I don't recall what caused everyone to move to 6925, but are those reasons still valid? I know that they still get used, although infrequently, and they have had their own interference problems.

6950 was nothing  but blasting data transmissions 24/7 for about a year after 9/11, and on and off until sometime in roughly in '03/'04. We all decided moving south would be a good idea and gradually moved to 6925 over a couple of months in late '01/early '02. WHYP was the first to make the move, if I'm not mistaken?

6955 has been open since the Chilean domestic moved from 6956.5 nearly a decade ago. However 6955 is a back up frequency for the Canadian Air Force. I think I've heard them there once in 15 years, but it is something to be aware of.

As for the pescadores, they're as illegal as we are. I always signed on over top of them.

Where's Dr. Tornado when he's needed? He could always clear the band of pescadores.

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 1727 UTC »
Agree. It seems that there is some sort of nightly"ragchew" fish net on 6925L. They get there early, and then leave late."

I am not certain these guys are actually on boats, at least not all of them. At least a couple of them, like "Deep Audio Guy", I think are land based. The signal strength is much stronger and more consistent with him than the guys who might be on boats. My theory is these guys are out of the Azores. I can't speak Portuguese, but I am pretty sure it is. "Deep Audio Guy" sounds kind of like one of the hi-fi SSBers on ham radio. You can sometimes tell that they are discussing radio stuff by picking out various words like brand names associated with ham gear.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 1808 UTC »
You could be right. Azorean fisherman have been working the Grand Banks (and those further south) for over 500 years. There's a large Azorean community in Rhode Island and Mass. The "Deep Audio Guy" could be network control for a segment of the fishing fleet.

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 1908 UTC »
Yep. Also, this same gang, including "Deep Audio Guy" was up around 6960-6970ish over the winter and spring (I think 6970) pretty much all the time, like they are these days on 6925. I wonder why they moved down.

# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline RRS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 1017 UTC »
Just keep in mind that the area of 6.930-6.935 has in the not so distant past been used by MARS you want to stay away from those folks!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 0101 UTC »
BTW, hurricane season is here. The Hurricane net's in the Southeast generally use the area around 6915 in LSB. I heard one of them a couple of months back doing a preseason net check on 6913.5

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 1325 UTC »
6925 USB was occupied by a PSK UTE last evening, here at least, from 0344 until 0446 UTC. A fairly strong signal that covered the Radio Echo One relay and RTN.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 1744 UTC »
Yeah, last night those PSK bursts were wiping out 6925 USB, but I was still able to copy Echo One fairly well via the ECSS-LSB or plain LSB options on an eastern web control SDR.

I'm not hearing too much ute or voice QRM via my home tuners on or near 6925.  For that matter I haven't heard the Portuguese language chanters on 7000 for awhile either.  They used to come in really well near dawn.  Pretty entertaining stuff - lots of odd chanting, with each participant gradually adding to the vocal cacophony.  I'm wondering if that's who some folks are hearing on 6925 recently.  The description of the "deep audio guy" acting as a sort of net control sounds a lot like the fellow I used to hear on 7000.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 1748 UTC »
Its for this reason all relays have their sound increased by 50% before transmission. I did drown the PSK out at one point which i thought was epic
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com