We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 2N1711  (Read 4985 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
2N1711
« on: August 01, 2013, 1418 UTC »
FYI: I just got a notification from Mouser that the 2N1711 is now in "End of Life" stage. Better stock up if you use this transistor!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
Re: 2N1711
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 2358 UTC »
Boy! Another discrete bites the dust.  I'll miss them.  I used the 1711 to good effect in the Corsairs for the driver transistor.  The gain is lower than others commonly used, but the audio quality blew the others away handily.  The missing gain would then be made up for in the final, by running two MOSFETs in parallel.  I guess I'll have to spring for some... thanks Chris!
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

cmradio

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 1935 UTC »
On the bright side, many of our favorite parts are being continued as SMD versions.  So for those with great eyesight (or lots of magnification) SMD can provide a product that is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a conventional one.... at the expense of construction time, as now everything has to have a board layout done.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 1944 UTC »
On the bright side, many of our favorite parts are being continued as SMD versions.  So for those with great eyesight (or lots of magnification) SMD can provide a product that is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a conventional one.... at the expense of construction time, as now everything has to have a board layout done.

+-RH

I can still dead bug simple prototypes with SMD, but like you say, with lots of magnification!  And teeny tiny tools.

I quess I am old...I remember shedding tears when the CK722 went obsolete.  It was the device of choice in so many of the projects in Lou Garner's Transistor Topics column!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 0042 UTC »
I can still dead bug simple prototypes with SMD, but like you say, with lots of magnification!  And teeny tiny tools.

I quess I am old...I remember shedding tears when the CK722 went obsolete.  It was the device of choice in so many of the projects in Lou Garner's Transistor Topics column!

I feel your pain Joe.  I mourn for several myself - 40673s, VN66s, et al.  My eyes have gone far enough around the bend that I now steer clear of SMDs.  Not just the eyesight, but for that shaky, iron-gripping hand of mine.  Too much alcohol, I guess. ::)  Redhat - enjoy it while you can Brother.  It really doesn't last forever...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns