We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: QSL?  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Tim537

• Wainscott, New York, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
QSL?
« on: August 01, 2013, 2303 UTC »
I'm asking the dumbest of all dumb questions: Has anyone (or known of anyone) actually QSLed a number station? Letter to the Exterior Ministry of Cuba, etc.  Just askin'  ;)

Tim

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: QSL?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 2330 UTC »
Not a dumb question at all.

The only one I am aware of was S05 and M05, a Czech run station under the callsign OLX (an actual issued callsign for the station, and they sent it in transmissions).  They did QSL.  Several other semi-numbers/spy stations have QSLed over the years.  One of the problems, of course, is that unless they send a callsign how do you know who to send the reception report / QSL request to?

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 2332 UTC »
I have sent in a fully detailed reception report for S28 to the St Petersburg Millitayr HQ
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 0115 UTC »
In 1999 I was on Radio Havana's mailing list and would frequently get cards on New years & even on my birthday. One night I left my DX 392 recording "DX'ers unlimited" on 6000 khz & a few minutes into the recording the audio dropped out for a couple of minutes & was replaced with V02 numbers. I didn't actually play the recording until a few days later. I copied it onto a blank tape & enclosed the tape, $5.00 and a friendly letter feigning ignorance at what the curious numbers were and asking for a qsl. They never responded & never again did I get a birthday card or anything else from them.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 0128 UTC »
In 1999 I was on Radio Havana's mailing list and would frequently get cards on New years & even on my birthday. One night I left my DX 392 recording "DX'ers unlimited" on 6000 khz & a few minutes into the recording the audio dropped out for a couple of minutes & was replaced with V02 numbers. I didn't actually play the recording until a few days later. I copied it onto a blank tape & enclosed the tape, $5.00 and a friendly letter feigning ignorance at what the curious numbers were and asking for a qsl. They never responded & never again did I get a birthday card or anything else from them.

Maybe that is because you forgot to get V02a a Christmas present
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 2212 UTC »

You got on Pedro's bad list.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 2220 UTC »
Arnie Coro musta blacklisted you, lol.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 2318 UTC »
Jeez.. I thought $5.00 was a lot of money to them. At the time it was a lot of money to me. I had to go without smokes for 2 days!!
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 1635 UTC »
Think of the $5.00 as a thank u for saving u from further medical treatment...;D cough cough cough

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 1924 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns